• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My sons last name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SFK9handler

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Hello all, I apologize if this is the wrong forum but my ex fiancé and I are expecting OUR first child. Second for her and first child for me. She let me know the other day that our son will be having her last name since we are not married and our situation is not traditional so he will not have my name. She wants both of her kids to have the same last name. She did this with her daughters father and it worked. I fear that she can do this even though I will be there for the birth but she will have the BC for our son with her last name. Is there anything I can do within my rights to have my last name given to my son? Thank you very much in advance!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Hello all, I apologize if this is the wrong forum but my ex fiancé and I are expecting OUR first child. Second for her and first child for me. She let me know the other day that our son will be having her last name since we are not married and our situation is not traditional so he will not have my name. She wants both of her kids to have the same last name. She did this with her daughters father and it worked. I fear that she can do this even though I will be there for the birth but she will have the BC for our son with her last name. Is there anything I can do within my rights to have my last name given to my son? Thank you very much in advance!
You can go to court and file suit regarding the child's last name once he is proven to be your child (paternity established). Why do you want your child to have your last name? Why does it matter? And why shouldn't your ex be able to give the child HER last name?

LdiJ

There is nothing you can do about her giving the child your last name to start out with. As OG said, you can try to change his/her last name after the fact.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">