+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    PQN is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009

    NC: Child custody, unmarried parents


    An unmarried couple has a baby. Dad signs the AOP. Parents bring baby home from the hospital and live together for a year. No court orders. In NC one of the states where mom has sole custody in this type of situation?

    All my google searches turn up child support info and UCCJEA links but I can't find the link to the law that shows who has default custody.

    (I am trying to convince a friend to see an attorney BEFORE he just up and leaves with the baby but he insists that his living with the baby established his custodial rights. He'd believe the actual law but I can't find it! He won't come here because he is so sure that being the baby's dad means he has equal custody to the mom, even though they never married.)

  2. #2
    breezymom is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    First, I found this: http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/enactedlegislation/statutes/html/bysection/chapter_49/gs_49-15.html

    49‑15. Custody and support of illegitimate children when paternity established.
    Upon and after the establishment of paternity of an illegitimate child pursuant to G.S. 49‑14, the rights, duties, and obligations of the mother and the father so established, with regard to support and custody of the child, shall be the same, and may be determined and enforced in the same manner, as if the child were the legitimate child of such father and mother. When paternity has been established, the father becomes responsible for medical expenses incident to the pregnancy and the birth of the child. (1967, c. 993, s. 1.)
    ...and the following:


    Neither of which are really all that clear. I believe the first states the answer for what you are looking, which is that both parents have the same rights to the child, as if they had been married, once paternity has been established. And if this means AoP being signed, then they have equal rights, but I wonder if it would mean only once a paternity test has been ordered and done through the court system. I am sure someone can answer that.

Similar Threads

  1. Legalizing child custody between unmarried parents
    By hippybliss in forum Child Custody & Visitation
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-06-2011, 08:36 PM
  2. Child Custody for Unmarried Parents in the State of Oregon
    By JRL in forum Child Custody & Visitation
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-29-2008, 05:45 PM
  3. Texas - Unmarried parents, who has custody?
    By clhend in forum Child Custody & Visitation
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-02-2007, 04:57 PM
  4. custody and support for unmarried parents
    By j2t in forum Child Custody & Visitation
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-30-2006, 06:33 PM
  5. Custody law for unmarried parents in N.Carolina
    By kimarthurs02 in forum Child Custody & Visitation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-20-2001, 06:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

© 1995-2012 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.