• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NCP living in motel wants visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lynmik

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? PA

My husband has custody of his 13 yr old son. Child's mother moved to Florida and is currently living in a motel. The motel room is being paid for by a local church while she is on a waiting list for subsidized housing. At this time, she does not know how long she will be on this waiting list and does not know for certain that she will be in an apartment by next summer. She wants to fly her son down to Florida next year for the summer. Can my husband deny her visitation based on these living arrangements? He is not trying to keep the child from seeing his mother, he just wants to make sure that he is going to be ok, since he would be so far away from home.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What do the visitation orders say?

Staying in a m/hotel, in and of itself, isn't harmful to a kid. Kids stay in tents/cabins for a month in summer camp in many cases. Extended vacations usually find them in temporary housing.

casa

lynmik said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? PA

My husband has custody of his 13 yr old son. Child's mother moved to Florida and is currently living in a motel. The motel room is being paid for by a local church while she is on a waiting list for subsidized housing. At this time, she does not know how long she will be on this waiting list and does not know for certain that she will be in an apartment by next summer. She wants to fly her son down to Florida next year for the summer. Can my husband deny her visitation based on these living arrangements? He is not trying to keep the child from seeing his mother, he just wants to make sure that he is going to be ok, since he would be so far away from home.
Well this is asking for advice on what a situation 'might' be...next year. :rolleyes:

Parents on vacation spend nights in motel rooms- has the child never been in a motel room? If the mother had custody and was living in a motel, that'd be one thing~ but for visitation, as long as the child has a bed and food and clothes it should be fine. Also many parents who travel a distance for visits with their children stay in nearby motels.

xKellyx

Your child will be fine, unless there is something about the motel you aren't telling us or the mother. Staying in a motel is nothing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">