• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NCP obtaining records?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RRevak

OP also make sure you're not going in there with guns blazing. Remember, you catch more flies with honey than you do vinegar. While I get that you're frustrated, you should really try to remain calm but assertive. Explain why you're there and that you are providing them with all the proof and paperwork they need to release records for your child. If they choose to continue being bumheaded, then politely show them a copy of the state law barring them from withholding the childs records. I would also work to be there at a time when the teacher will be present as well as the principle and any other staff member in their office. Shake hands, introduce yourself etc. That way everyone sees you, knows that you're not a raging loon, and that you are willing to do whatever is necessary to be a strong positive influence in your childs academics and medical care. Remember, BE NICE or you will lose any possibility of positive communication with everyone involved.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Next year when he is in public school I think that may be possible. He is in preschool now. I also am trying to get information on his kindergarten screening, but there are two districts he could have been screened in and I can't seem to locate the person who I need to talk to. I keep getting transferred or leave a message with no return call.
I see the problem. You have presented no evidence to show that you are the child's parent. You have just been a voice on the phone.

Yes, get there in person with the appropriate documents. I would suggest that you have an original and multiple copies of each document you intend to use to show you are the child's parent. It's always nice to just hand them a copy instead of forcing them to make a copy for the file. I used to go to meetings for my kids with binders to hand out to each person in the meeting with copies of all pertinent paperwork. They were very impressed and tended to take me much more seriously.

CJane

How old is the child?
Other than calling the school, what have you done -specifically - to try and get records?
What type - specifically - of information are you seeking? "Records" is pretty generic and may or may not include the information you're looking for.
Is the child enrolled in public school?
The ORDER is out of MI - does the child attend school in the state of Michigan?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
What sort of "school records" are there for a preschooler? (I'll assume that OP just wants to make sure the child is developmentally on track, given that medical issues can affect that.)

OP, you've been given advice, follow it. But if CP has a habit of not keeping you in the loop, perhaps the next time you're in court for modification of custody/visitation, perhaps you can request that CP keep you notified of what school the child is registered in, and that you be on documents as parent, with copy of report cards, etc. mailed to you. And make sure that your address is kept up to date with the school.

itsnotfair

As an NCP myself, I can tell you that attempting to get school or medical records is a waste of time. Months of calling and faxing and I still can't even get doctors/teachers to confirm my kids even go to the school/doctor's office my ex says they do (I suspect they don't even go to those places, but can't get anyone to confirm it for me). If you're the NCP, no one cares about getting records to you. You might as well not exist.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
As an NCP myself, I can tell you that attempting to get school or medical records is a waste of time. Months of calling and faxing and I still can't even get doctors/teachers to confirm my kids even go to the school/doctor's office my ex says they do (I suspect they don't even go to those places, but can't get anyone to confirm it for me). If you're the NCP, no one cares about getting records to you. You might as well not exist.
I'm sorry that you are not able to figure out how to assert your state and federal rights.

RRevak

First: Either you aren't doing something right or you're just plain stomping your feet and sticking navy beans up your nose because they are NOT LEGALLY ALLOWED to withhold information from a legally established parent, period.
Second: If you're JUST faxing and calling then no wonder you haven't gotten anywhere. They would need to see you IN PERSON to A. Verify you are who you say you are and B. Ensure all documents you present are legal and specific to you and the child. If you aren't showing up in person then you have nobody to blame for not getting anywhere but yourself.
And third: The bolded isn't necessary to put out to OP. I know many NCP's who obtain records for their children all the time. While for some it was easy, others took a bit of legwork and time but in the end they prevailed. Seriously, if you aren't doing things right then don't use that to stomp out whatever motivation OP might have to do things right for HIS child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">