• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NEED ADVISE!!Is my child safe?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

snsdaugh

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Gerogia
Hello
I have a 5 year old daughter. Her father works out of town alot so he lives with his sister when he is in town. I have always gotten along with his family but this past year I have really began to question the environment my child is in when she is with her father. My daughters aunt Beth* has not had custody of her children in a little over 2 years. they are surrently in foster care and she does get supervised visitation with them. When I ask how come she has not gotten them back yet, she will ramble about how it wasnt her fault, how it was someone elses fauly blahblahblah. Other than the fact that she has not has custody of her own 3 children, she also has 5 different live in boyfriends in the past 2 years that seem..questionable. The most recent live in boyfriend was release from jail in july and thats when they started dating. she married him 3 weeks ago and just this past weekend he was involved in a highspeed chase where he totaled Beth's vehicle and ran from the police. He was arrested the next day after she called the police for domestic violence. Upon further research he was put in jail most recently for evading police and pos of meth. She now has the boyfriend that she was with before already living in her home. anyways what I am trying to say is it irrational of me to not want my child to go over there? I felt as if i have had no choice cause her father is court ordered to get her every weekend, but this is the last straw. Do I have any legal stand on not letting my child over there because of these issues? Am I legally allowed to do a background check on Beth to see why she might not have custody of her children? I feel I have a right to know. In Georgia do I even have to let her stay in a house where the mother has not had custody of her children in 2 years? Also my daughters father is around $4000 behind in child support

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Hello
I have a 5 year old daughter. Her father works out of town alot so he lives with his sister when he is in town. I have always gotten along with his family but this past year I have really began to question the environment my child is in when she is with her father. My daughters aunt Beth* has not had custody of her children in a little over 2 years. they are surrently in foster care and she does get supervised visitation with them. When I ask how come she has not gotten them back yet, she will ramble about how it wasnt her fault, how it was someone elses fauly blahblahblah. Other than the fact that she has not has custody of her own 3 children, she also has 5 different live in boyfriends in the past 2 years that seem..questionable. The most recent live in boyfriend was release from jail in july and thats when they started dating. she married him 3 weeks ago and just this past weekend he was involved in a highspeed chase where he totaled Beth's vehicle and ran from the police. He was arrested the next day after she called the police for domestic violence. Upon further research he was put in jail most recently for evading police and pos of meth. She now has the boyfriend that she was with before already living in her home. anyways what I am trying to say is it irrational of me to not want my child to go over there? I felt as if i have had no choice cause her father is court ordered to get her every weekend, but this is the last straw. Do I have any legal stand on not letting my child over there because of these issues? Am I legally allowed to do a background check on Beth to see why she might not have custody of her children? I feel I have a right to know. In Georgia do I even have to let her stay in a house where the mother has not had custody of her children in 2 years? Also my daughters father is around $4000 behind in child support

You have a court order. Follow it until you have it modified by the court. You most likely do NOT have a right to know why Beth doesn't have her children because she is not the one in charge of your child when the child is there -- her father is. You have to follow the court order. And adding that dad is behind in child support, -- really that is low class. It has nothing to do with visitation.

Ladyback1

Hello
Have you, oh I don't know, talked to Dad about your concerns with the current situation?

What concerns do you have that are directly related to Dad, Dad's behavior, Dad's possible criminal acts (like the live in boyfriend's of sis), etc.? (other than being in arrears in child support--which, by the way, doesn't play into visitation....even though it is frustrating and irritating, I know)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Ohiogal: I have followed the court order. That is why she still goes over there every other weekend. I know visitation does not go hand in hand with the collection of child support..which is why my daughter still goes over there. And how would adding that he is $4,000 behind in child support be considered low class? God forbid he sells his 2013 ford king ranch for a more economical option while I struggle to afford gas while attending nursing school. I thought low class was more along the lines of a convicted meth head who steals vehicles, totals them, and then comes home to assault his newly wed wife. In fact, I do KNOW that Beth is in charge of my child at times. 9 times out of 10, when I go to pick my daughter up, she is there, and the father is no where to be seen (I would say that he is avoiding me cause he owes...wait thats seems to be a touchy subject).

Ladybugback1: I have expressed my feelings about the different men moving in and out of her house. He assures me they are good people. I do not know these people so I cannot say if they are or are not. I have just taken his word for it. Until now. What if my daughter had been there when Beth was assaulted? What if this man had taken his rage out on my daughter if she was there? If he is capable of doing this to Beth, what else is he capable of. what are the next men in her life going to be like?
As far as my daughters father goes, he has has never been convicted of a crime that I know of. I am not wanting to take my daughter away from him, I just want her to be in a more stable enviornment, but he sees nothing wrong with where he is. I do know that he has stole things from wal-mart and taken them back to be "refunded". My daughter has come home complaining of the fleas in the house and says sometimes she doesnt want to go back because of dog poop on the floor. His ex wife said that when my daughter came over, she was the one who got up and fed my daughter, because when my daughter tried to wake her up he would yell at her. I took it with a grain of salt because I do not know her well and I was not sure if she was just trying to stir things up since it was a bitter divorce. I went home and asked hayden what she ate on the weekend. she said cereal. I asked her who got up with her and she said her former stepmoms name. I asked if her dad ever made her breakfast and she said no when she tries to wake him up he gets "really really mad". (this has been about 2 years). She also does not get baths when she goes over there.

Hire yourself counsel. HOW DARE YOU INSULT LADYBACK. HOW DARE YOU. You are nothing but a little twit who wants help but then doesn't like the truth. HOW DARE YOU. Your attitude is repulsive. Your responses are juvenile. You are low class. Good job. Pay for your advice. Your bitterness is seeping through consistently.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">