• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help with modification of custody in Texas. I will be filing wothout a lawyer.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joneskaty83

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Where can I find the form to modify custody for my child in Harris County Texas? Also, what is the name of the form?

In the state of Texas, a child can decide at age 12 which parent they want to live with; what is the name of the form & where would I find the form for this matter?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Where can I find the form to modify custody for my child in Harris County Texas? Also, what is the name of the form?

In the state of Texas, a child can decide at age 12 which parent they want to live with; what is the name of the form & where would I find the form for this matter?
I am sorry but that is wrong. Texas does not give a child the right to decide which parent they want to live with. Texas only gives them the right to express a preference. It is up to a judge to decide whether or not their preference should be taken seriously.

CJane

Texas used to allow a child over the age of 12 to file an Affidavit of Preference, IF a modification was otherwise pending. But, IIRC, they repealed that particular statute. Stand by.

CJane

Texas used to allow a child over the age of 12 to file an Affidavit of Preference, IF a modification was otherwise pending. But, IIRC, they repealed that particular statute. Stand by.
Yup. Child preference was repealed in 2009. Children can still express their wishes in chambers, but the wishes are not controlling.

http://shellywestlawyer.com/new/child-custody-designate-residence.html

Proserpina

The court is required to listen to a 12 year old's preference, but that's of course nowhere near a guarantee.

If the child is younger than 12, the court can do the same...but they are not required to listen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">