• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Legal Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

YolandaS

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for advice.
My daughter met a young man and they dated for about 4 years. W/in that time, a child was conceived (girl) The man is from NJ. They agreed that he and the child would go to NJ to visit his family and she would come a couple of weeks later help him restart his business. The child was born in SC and my daughter filed her on her taxes in SC. My daughter went up and when it was time for her and her daughter to return, he always gave reasons as to why they couldn't come back. He had a job to do and couldn't take them. He breaks her phone, and would not allow her to use his tablet which he kept locked up and would from time to time physically abuse her. They were staying with his mom. He and his mom get in a big fight, she jumps on him and is arrested and goes to jail. Before she leaves, she tells the cops that because it is her house, she wants him, my daughter and my granddaughter out of her house. They move to NY for a few weeks and then he finds them a place to stay in Union County. Bottom line. he eventually told her that she could not leave because after 6 months of residency she cannot take the child out of state without his permission. I don't think that it was 6 months though. Anyway he eventually tells her that he thinks that it is best for her and the baby to come back and live in SC (text message which we have). She gets a one way ticket back for her and the baby. He then wants her to come back but she says no and he goies down to the courthouse and files emergency child custody. He has a judge call (why a judge would call I'm not sure) and tell my daughter that she has broken the law and has to return with the child immediately or a bench warrant for her arrest will be issued. My daughter told him that she doesn't have the finances to return, he gave her until August 1st to be back in NJ with the child and to turn the child over to the father and then she will have to go to court to fight the case. He knows that if he has my granddaughter, her has my daughter because she won't leave my grandbaby there. We need help from a legal professional. We have called so many lawyers in Sc and they said that they can't touch it. The lawyers in NJ have been no help either. The paperwork that came in the mail (not certified just regular mail) did not have a raised seal on it, her name was misspelled crossed out and then written correctly, they used white out and it was hand written. His mother has always bragged that she has connections and that might be so. We need someone in Union county that can give us a free consultation and probono would be great due to lack of finances on our end. We have until August 1st. My question also is does she have to go back? Please let me know and tell me what my next step should be.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for advice.
My daughter met a young man and they dated for about 4 years. W/in that time, a child was conceived (girl) The man is from NJ. They agreed that he and the child would go to NJ to visit his family and she would come a couple of weeks later help him restart his business. The child was born in SC and my daughter filed her on her taxes in SC. My daughter went up and when it was time for her and her daughter to return, he always gave reasons as to why they couldn't come back. He had a job to do and couldn't take them. He breaks her phone, and would not allow her to use his tablet which he kept locked up and would from time to time physically abuse her. They were staying with his mom. He and his mom get in a big fight, she jumps on him and is arrested and goes to jail. Before she leaves, she tells the cops that because it is her house, she wants him, my daughter and my granddaughter out of her house. They move to NY for a few weeks and then he finds them a place to stay in Union County. Bottom line. he eventually told her that she could not leave because after 6 months of residency she cannot take the child out of state without his permission. I don't think that it was 6 months though. Anyway he eventually tells her that he thinks that it is best for her and the baby to come back and live in SC (text message which we have). She gets a one way ticket back for her and the baby. He then wants her to come back but she says no and he goies down to the courthouse and files emergency child custody. He has a judge call (why a judge would call I'm not sure) and tell my daughter that she has broken the law and has to return with the child immediately or a bench warrant for her arrest will be issued. My daughter told him that she doesn't have the finances to return, he gave her until August 1st to be back in NJ with the child and to turn the child over to the father and then she will have to go to court to fight the case. He knows that if he has my granddaughter, her has my daughter because she won't leave my grandbaby there. We need help from a legal professional. We have called so many lawyers in Sc and they said that they can't touch it. The lawyers in NJ have been no help either. The paperwork that came in the mail (not certified just regular mail) did not have a raised seal on it, her name was misspelled crossed out and then written correctly, they used white out and it was hand written. His mother has always bragged that she has connections and that might be so. We need someone in Union county that can give us a free consultation and probono would be great due to lack of finances on our end. We have until August 1st. My question also is does she have to go back? Please let me know and tell me what my next step should be.
Your next step should be to tell your daughter to come here herself and sign up with her own screen-name.

Thank you for understanding.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm sorry, but this forum does not provide referrals. Your daughter may wish to contact the state bar(s) and ask about low income assistance. She may also want to check out www.attorneypages.com and start sending emails with her story hoping to get some help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">