• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New boyfriend is a convicted sex offender

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ecoamo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

We are very concerned about my step-daughter. There have been 10 boyfriends in 8 years that we know of, and all creepy as hell. She tends to keep us out of her relationships so we didn't know until after the fact that one husband was a sex offender. We now know that all of them have had some sort of record (drugs dealing, domestic violence etc.)

The latest though we do know... he was convicted of statutory rape and is required to be registered. However there is another private situation I am aware of where he called the mother of a 12 year old boy when his wife was gone asking if the boy could spend the night. Repeatedly. This usually happens when he is drunk, but he is a severe alcoholic so that is pretty standard.

Will the court see this as being as serious as we do or will we once again be told that we have no say so on who her mother moves her in with? This is getting very frightening...

Just needing to know the legal side of this before we proceed

(PS to save on the whole legal stranger speech, I know the whole deal. Hubby just prefers that I do the asking of questions... we just need some perspective before we move forward)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

We are very concerned about my step-daughter. There have been 10 boyfriends in 8 years that we know of, and all creepy as hell. She tends to keep us out of her relationships so we didn't know until after the fact that one husband was a sex offender. We now know that all of them have had some sort of record (drugs dealing, domestic violence etc.)

The latest though we do know... he was convicted of statutory rape and is required to be registered. However there is another private situation I am aware of where he called the mother of a 12 year old boy when his wife was gone asking if the boy could spend the night. Repeatedly. This usually happens when he is drunk, but he is a severe alcoholic so that is pretty standard.

Will the court see this as being as serious as we do or will we once again be told that we have no say so on who her mother moves her in with? This is getting very frightening...

(PS to save on the whole legal stranger speech, I know the whole deal. Hubby just prefers that I do the asking of questions... we just need some perspective before we move forward)
YOU need nothing but to back off quite frankly. You state you know the whole legal stranger speech but quite frankly you are not showing that YOU get it. You don't seem to care about it. Your hubby could ask his own questions. Unless hubby has proof that HIS CHILD is in danger, it matters not.

sometwo

PS to save on the whole legal stranger speech, I know the whole deal. Hubby just prefers that I do the asking of questions... we just need some perspective before we move forward)
you say that but use we an awful lot in your post.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Also - have any of his convictions been regarding involvement with a boy, or have some been with girls? That could make a difference.

LdiJ

You know, I really don't have much of a problem with one spouse asking questions on behalf of the other spouse. Its not that unusual. One spouse is often the "researcher" for the other.

However, when you state that you understand the whole "legal stranger" bit but continue to make statements like "my stepdaughter" rather than "my husband's daughter" and then continue to insist on using the "we" and "our" bit, then it makes me wonder if you really understand the concept of "legal stranger"...and truly understand your place in the whole scheme of things.

Bottom line...your husband would have to prove that mom's boyfriend was a direct threat to his child in order to make anything happen.

cyjeff

Folks, the way this is written, I think the STEP DAUGHTER is the one with the sexual predator boyfriend.

Artemis_ofthe_Hunt

Who are we talking about here? The step-daughters boyfriends, or Mom's?

Again this paragraph is really ambiguous as to who OP is referring to.

here OP seems to be referring to the mom's choices in partners... but still not completely sure.

I have to say this.... you still don't get it. You could say something to the effect of, "Hubby has asked me to get some perspective on whether or not this would be seen as a big deal in the Courts eyes"... or "Hubby was wondering whether or not HE should be moving forward legally to protect his daughter". You having said before WE moved forward isn't really about whether or not Hubby has asked you to do anything. Its that YOU aren't on any legal proceeding documents. YOU aren't a party to anything. Period.

Folks, the way this is written, I think the STEP DAUGHTER is the one with the sexual predator boyfriend.
I don't think so, jeff.
Hopefully OP will come back and clarify.

ecoamo

Sorry for the confusion.

This would be the mothers new boyfriend, the child is ten. The conviction was for statutory rape, and involved an underage girl. The situation with the young boy was with a friends son, as the man was their neighbor less than a year ago. So this was a situation that I witnessed personally while it was going on.

Hubby just wants to know where he stands legally... that's all. Can he do something to protect the child or not?

ecoamo

Trying to keep this discussion uncluttered but I should also clarify that the mother is aware of her new boyfriends history. She said she spoke with him about it and he assured her that everything was fine...

Proserpina

Sorry for the confusion.

This would be the mothers new boyfriend, the child is ten. The conviction was for statutory rape, and involved an underage girl. The situation with the young boy was with a friends son, as the man was their neighbor less than a year ago. So this was a situation that I witnessed personally while it was going on.

Hubby just wants to know where he stands legally... that's all. Can he do something to protect the child or not?

Statutory rape by definition involves a person who is underage.

How old was the girl involved? There's a massive difference between a 16 year old and a 12 year old, for example.

Proserpina

Sorry for the confusion.

How old was the girl involved? There's a massive difference between a 16 year old and a 12 year old, for example.

Gracie3787

Sorry for the confusion.

Your husband needs to get a consult with a local attorney ASAP.

If the BF is a registered sex offender, your husband has the right, and the responsibility, to protect his child from a registered sex offender by filing in court to have the existing custody order modified. And, I disagree with a few of the other answers, it really doesn't matter whether the victim was male or female, if the BF is a convicted, REGISTERED sex offender, there are lots of laws that are available to protect children from that person.

ecoamo

We aren't sure what the exact charges were, just that he is on our local sex offender registry and the statutory charge.

Thank you for your input. Just needed some direction. Your time is appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">