• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Newborn custody?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

badams

I live in the state of FL. Does anyone know how the courts typically rule in newborn custody cases? I am the mother and wish to have sole custody of the child and the father would have visitation rights-especially for the first year of the child life. Also, the father's immigration status is questionable as I ceased sponsoring him upon serving him with divorce. He is trying to get a quickie marriage to stay in the country and is also using the unborn child as a pawn in the game. The father is going for joint custody so that he can lessen his child support obligations and try to claim the child each year on his taxes. (His attorney informed my attorney that he desperately wants to claim child.)

Any feedback is appreciated.

B

L

LadyBlu

badams said:

I live in the state of FL. Does anyone know how the courts typically rule in newborn custody cases? I am the mother and wish to have sole custody of the child and the father would have visitation rights-especially for the first year of the child life. Also, the father's immigration status is questionable as I ceased sponsoring him upon serving him with divorce. He is trying to get a quickie marriage to stay in the country and is also using the unborn child as a pawn in the game. The father is going for joint custody so that he can lessen his child support obligations and try to claim the child each year on his taxes. (His attorney informed my attorney that he desperately wants to claim child.)

Any feedback is appreciated.

B
I feel for you... having recently been to the Center for Missing and Exploited childrens website and the TX DPS website for missing persons... there are so many children out there that are taken out of this country by non-resident parents it scares me, and that alone would keep me from becoming involved with someone from another country.

I hope you have an attorney for this?
If not you need to. You can get supervised visits set up until the child reaches 3yrs old. (Which with any luck he would be deported by then).. evil twin coming out sorry..
I would insist upon sole custody though with supervised visits as there is the risk of parental kidnapping which would end up costing you a bundle of money to get the child back.

B

badams

Thanks, LadyBlu-

I do have an attorney for the divorce, but she is not very good at all. I will not use her for the child custody case. I need to find someone really good. Her standpoint, "Who cares what he does as long as he pays child support. He's not going to leave the country." Yeah, I'd like to see her say that if her child's future was in jeopardy. Amazingly enough, money is not even a concern to me (not that i am rich at all) but the child's safety and well-being are.

I just hope the courts will see this and not be on this hellbent mission to give both parents equal rights regardless of the situation. (What I have read indicates the former.)

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">