• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Newborn custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
No. When she left me off the BC the nurses did not come by with the AofP. I assumed the mom put me on there till I called the hospital after we left.
The nurses knew I was the father and let her leave me off the BC.
The only way the nurses knew you were the father is if they were present during you impregnating her AND were with ever second since then. If not, they didn't know. They couldn't know. Nor could you.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I know it was worthless legally speaking to get the DNA test. It was to make sure I wasn't fighting for a kid that potentially wasn't mine. I will file then ASAP. Like this week then. What should I fight for in time? Should I construct a parenting plan that works my way up to 50% or just ask for it straight off the bat and say I want to formula feed then? And if I put in a parenting plan where I work my way up to overnights at what point should it hit 50%.
This is not a war so you shouldn't be fighting for time. You should be manning up to be a father. You should want to be in your child's life as much as feasibly possible but realize mom will also want that. A transitional parenting plan might be smart.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The only way the nurses knew you were the father is if they were present during you impregnating her AND were with ever second since then. If not, they didn't know. They couldn't know. Nor could you.
What if the nurses came in to the picture during the afternoon activities without knowing mom had morning activities?

CJane

Ya know, even in intact families, it's very rare that the parents split parenting duties exactly 50/50. Usually, for a variety of reasons, one parent does more. That's just the way it is. 50/50 custody is NOT the norm in any jurisdiction I can think of, because it has yet to be proven that it is in the majority of children's best interests.

LdiJ

I know it was worthless legally speaking to get the DNA test. It was to make sure I wasn't fighting for a kid that potentially wasn't mine. I will file then ASAP. Like this week then. What should I fight for in time? Should I construct a parenting plan that works my way up to 50% or just ask for it straight off the bat and say I want to formula feed then? And if I put in a parenting plan where I work my way up to overnights at what point should it hit 50%.
Just as an FYI...it can wreak havoc on a baby's digestive system to switch back and forth between breast milk and formula. A 50/50 schedule can also be very emotionally disrupting to infants as well. It all depends on the individual child.

In general, 50/50 tends to be not good for infants and younger toddlers (they do not understand what is going on), works better for older toddlers and school aged children, (they do understand what is going on and have more emotional trust) and then tends to become problematic in the adolescent years (when all things tend to become more problematic) and tends to fail miserably in the teenage years.

Dad, do some serious research on what tends to work best for children in general rather than what works best for mom or dad. Read some medical and psychological studies. Then propose a plan based on what is truly best for the child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">