• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Newborn and custody/visitation issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

genvissa

What is the name of your state? Arizona

Is there a policy in place for visitation for a breastfed newborn. Mom and dad are not together. The baby is eight weeks old and being breastfed. The father has come to the house for visits and is within the last couple weeks has started taking the baby for four hours during the day every Sunday. The Dad is now pushing the fact that he wants to keep the baby overnight every weekend and wants the mother to stop breastfeeding so that he can do this. Are there guidelines for visitation with a young baby like this? Also he expects to have the baby every weekend even as he gets older, which I think is unreasonable especially when the mother will be working full time during the week and will also want some weekend time with the baby.

The father has money and is constantly threatening the mother as he knows that she doesn't have the funds to get an attorney.

Thanks,
A Concerned Grandparent

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

genvissa said:
which I think is unreasonable especially when the mother will be working full time during the week and will also want some weekend time with the baby.

My response:

You think? On what grounds do you "think" this arrangement is "unreasonable"? Who died and had you appointed "Chief Meddler"?

IAAL

Ron1347

Umm...breast pump? Send supply of mother's milk with dad? Along with mother's breast milk, often times a supplement formular is chosen if not enough brest milk can be supplied for the length of father's visit. Seen it done that way MANY-a-time!

LdiJ

genvissa said:

Is there a policy in place for visitation for a breastfed newborn. Mom and dad are not together. The baby is eight weeks old and being breastfed. The father has come to the house for visits and is within the last couple weeks has started taking the baby for four hours during the day every Sunday. The Dad is now pushing the fact that he wants to keep the baby overnight every weekend and wants the mother to stop breastfeeding so that he can do this. Are there guidelines for visitation with a young baby like this? Also he expects to have the baby every weekend even as he gets older, which I think is unreasonable especially when the mother will be working full time during the week and will also want some weekend time with the baby.

The father has money and is constantly threatening the mother as he knows that she doesn't have the funds to get an attorney.

Thanks,
A Concerned Grandparent
A judge is very unlikely to order a mother to stop breastfeeding. The mother however may be ordered to pump milk to provide bottles for feeding during dad's time (assuming the mother is capable of pumping or is capable of pumping enough for both daycare and visitation purposes).

There is also very little chance that a judge would give him every weekend...its generally recognized that BOTH parents are entitled to weekend time with the child.

Its also generally recognized that more frequent, shorter visits, are better to help an infant bond with the other parent. Ideally he should be seeing the baby several times a week for a couple of hours.

If he has an attorney its really better if your daughter has one too. If she really can't afford it and you can't afford to help her, then she should try contacting Legal Aid to see if she qualifies for their assistance.

In the meantime, she shouldn't give in to threats or bullying.

I don't know if AZ has specific guidelines or not....try doing some searches on the AZ government website. However most states that do, have gradual, phased in visitation for infants, that emphasizes frequency over duration.

haiku

if mom is working fulltime, while dealing with breast feeding, than there should be no issue in working with dad for visitation either.

casa

genvissa said:

Thanks,
A Concerned Grandparent
Question #1: When Mom is working "full time" who feeds the baby? :rolleyes: Someone obviously- so Mom either hands the pumped milk over to Dad instead, or she tells Dad what formula the baby drinks. This argument is transparent (And yes, I breastfed & worked & pumped :cool: )

Question #2: Who does Mother think she's punishing by withholding visitation? Dad or Baby? :cool: If Mom were still with the father this would be a non-issue. Something to think about.

casa

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

Yes, I am. Are you?

Whip it. Now, whip it good!

IAAL
Unfortunately IAAL, I'm blonde~ and everyone 'knows' you only like redheads :p

Besides I'm not easy at all...in fact I'm quite difficult ;)

casa

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

I like corn flakes. Please squeeze me a pint.

IAAL
LMAO! :D

That was a while ago...sorry. :cool: Couldn't squeeze ya a drop if I wanted to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">