• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Niece is in foster care

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nichelle

What is the name of your state? WA
Hi everyone,
My 6 yr old niece is in a foster home. She was taken from her mother about 2 years ago for neglect and was bounced around from home to home. My older sister then took her in and LOST her for various reasons. Now she is in a home again and has been there for about 6 months. I have been trying since about september '06 to get visitation with her through cps. I already was ok'd to see her whenever I wanted, no biggie. But because she was taken away again and put into a new foster home they didnt want to disrupt her progress in getting settled in. Well here it is the end of March now and I contacted the CPS caseworker last week (left her a message) telling her that I want her with me. I am willing and capable of taking care of her, and that I understood that it wouldnt be the best idea to jump her immediately to my place. That it would be better to start up some visits and phone calls and move to over nights and come summer when school is out it would be good to have her move in all together. You know how CPS is with children having visits then it making them act out because they dont understand why they cant just come home with you... Well thats why I said ok to transitioning. I have yet to hear back from the caseworker and the therapist. I guess i need advice. What to do, what to say if they tell me that they would rather not because she has been placed in this home for a good 6 mo. and they dont want to disrupt her progress, and also if they are affraid to grant me custody/guardianship because of my sisters bad choices that landed her right back in foster care. My niece nor I should be punished for her mistakes. I really do not see any good reason for them to tell me NO. Besides the caseworker that is on the case is one who is for family reuniting.
Can anyone give me some advice? On what to do when they do say no. And what to expect?
Thank you so much. I appreciate it!
Nikki

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">