• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

non-custodial parent moves out of state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

flowerchild

What is the name of your state? Washington

I have 2 children. Divorced in Oregon. Moved to Washington (1 hour away). Ex has visitation 3 weekends a month and once during the week (evening). We have been each driving one way on the weekend visitations. Problem, ex just told me he is moving 6 hours away to Montana. He expects me to drive 1/2 way each weekend to deliver and pickup kids. The kids are already tired and irritable after the 1 hour drive. Is there anything I can do to prevent this...our visitation papers say nothing about how to handle this. Any advice?

haiku

until it is court ordered, anything you do by verbal agreement, is done as a favor. until the court order changes you are not obligated to make the half way drive.

that being said, due to the distance, you should go to court to have the visitation modified, and have the transport reworked to reflect that.

it IS very common for the parents to split the driving distance as your ex suggested. but due to the distance, it may make more sense to cut the vistation down to every other weekend or once a month, and then have longer visits during vacation times and holidays to make up the difference.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">