• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

non-custodial parent removing child from state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

docbob10

What is the name of your state? FLORIDA - I am the custodial parent. My ex-wife recently initiated a custody battle that she lost. Now she has told my 7 yr. old daughter she went out of state to meet someone, is getting married and planning to move everything, including my daughter out of state. My daughter is very upset, because she does not want to leave my wife and me. What action can I take beforehand to prevent my ex from "kidnapping" my daughter? I realize she is entitled to a vacation, but that does not appear to be her plan.What is the name of your state?

LovingdadinMI

You are custodial parent. What does your custody order say in regards to leaving the state? Im in Michigan in my state a parent is not able to leave the state without getting consent from the court and or the other parent.

For her to be able to legaly do this she would have to prove some kind of change of circumstance to change custody assuming she is even able to move out of state and maintain the same parenting time already allowed. Which obviously she has failed to do already.

I wouldn't lose to much sleep on it. There must have been a good reason you have primary custody as the father. Just reasure your child that you all will work through this.

If you really fear she will "kidnap" your child you should contact autoroties and get PPO against her.

Last edited:

Just Blue

You are custodial parent. What does your custody order say in regards to leaving the state? Im in Michigan in my state a parent is not able to leave the state without getting consent from the court and or the other parent.

For her to be able to legaly do this she would have to prove some kind of change of circumstance to change custody assuming she is even able to move out of state and maintain the same parenting time already allowed. Which obviously she has failed to do already.

I wouldn't lose to much sleep on it. There must have been a good reason you have primary custody as the father. Just reasure your child that you all will work through this.

If you really fear she will "kidnap" your child you should contact autoroties and get PPO against her.
"Judge, I would like a PPO against the mother of my child 'cause my SEVEN year old told me Mom was going to take her to another state"

Yeah...right!

OP: When Mom tells you she plans on moving go back to court for a long distance plan.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? FLORIDA - I am the custodial parent. My ex-wife recently initiated a custody battle that she lost. Now she has told my 7 yr. old daughter she went out of state to meet someone, is getting married and planning to move everything, including my daughter out of state. My daughter is very upset, because she does not want to leave my wife and me. What action can I take beforehand to prevent my ex from "kidnapping" my daughter? I realize she is entitled to a vacation, but that does not appear to be her plan.What is the name of your state?
Its certainly disturbing that she said that to the child, but I don't think that there is necessarily anything that you can do. Go ahead and get a consult with a local attorney however, to be certain.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">