• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-custodial parent taking minor child to doctor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

styl4u64

N.C. this topic hits home 'hard'. I just got a call from ex that he and his g/friend/'fiance' have taken my child to see a psychologist. I just went to court seeking child support and ex was ordered to pay and provide medical insurance. The fiance put my ex and child on her insurance even though they aren't married because her co. has a 'commitment clause' after 90 days of 'engagement' she can add ex and child to her insurance. In meanwhile, 'they' refuse to give me a 'card' or to name Dr.s etc! Now this,,, taking child to psychologist without consulting me. Is this possible that this poster is possibly facing same thing? Have any other's been faced with something like this?

B

blendedfamily

OK ,Now this in Oklahoma when I called DCFS and complained about lack of medical care for my children...they asked why I didn't take them....so how can a parent in the court of law....be responsible and DCFS would say if I knew and did nothing I was responsible....if in the same court of law they say that parent can't provide medical treament when nedded??

B

blendedfamily

styl4u64 said:
N.C. this topic hits home 'hard'. I just got a call from ex that he and his g/friend/'fiance' have taken my child to see a psychologist. I just went to court seeking child support and ex was ordered to pay and provide medical insurance. The fiance put my ex and child on her insurance even though they aren't married because her co. has a 'commitment clause' after 90 days of 'engagement' she can add ex and child to her insurance. In meanwhile, 'they' refuse to give me a 'card' or to name Dr.s etc! Now this,,, taking child to psychologist without consulting me. Is this possible that this poster is possibly facing same thing? Have any other's been faced with something like this?
The question to start with is Why would you not want child to go??

nextwife

My child had some therapy sessions utilizing "Playtherapy" (institutional fears and preadoptive issues), and they did benefit her.

On the note of the psychologist that is a different ball park than a Doctor if the child was sick or hurt. I feel that both parents should at least be made aware of all dr appts. (of any type). I can see more of a reason to be upset when a child is taken to a psychologists w/o the other parents knowledge. I mean you have a person you know NOTHING about crawling around in a childs head who is already sucepitable (sp?) to a lot due to the stress of parents not being together. I know I would want the oppurtunity to speak with the psychologist first and do research about that Dr. before I would feel totally comfortable and I would expect EVERY parent to give the same respect to all parties whether CP or NCP. Afterall the most important thing is best interest of the child.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Hell, I'm a CP with joint legal and I don't get informed when the ex takes the kids to the doctor - unless the kids tell me or the doc calls me to tell me that they have some reportable disease. Like Whooping Cough.

styl4u64

blendedfamily said:
The question to start with is Why would you not want child to go??
Why wouldn't I be informed? And why can't I have the insurance card? That's all, it's just something they are doing without letting me be present or involved, there should be both of us involved the father and mother, and the g/friend is the one that 'set this up',,, I would be open to a meeting w/psychologist involving the 'parent's', but this isn't about the parents, the g/friend let it be known, she can give child Everything and all the extras, not me, the mother,and g/friend can't have kids, now she wants mine.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
And since this thread isn't about your specific situation, there's no need to get so emotional about it, is there?

See I personally think that terrible as horrible of a relationship the ex and my fiance have he has always called to inform mom if the child even had a cold and definately informed about drs. For just over two years they had 50/50 visitation with mom having sole legal and there was never a question as to dad or myself taking the child to the dr. Even now when mom has supervised visitation and hasn't seen her child since thanksgiving the child has had a bad cough but no other symptoms we let it go and treated it over the counter for about 4-5 days and when it still seemed bad he took her to the dr. Guess what she has a cough thats it the weather has been weird cold mornings and nights but hot in the day (this is AZ so 70 degrees is cold :D ) but mom was informed all the way. Parents have to learn to put the petty crap aside and get along AT LEAST to the point necessary to act in the best interest of the child.

styl4u64 said:
Why wouldn't I be informed? And why can't I have the insurance card? That's all, it's just something they are doing without letting me be present or involved, there should be both of us involved the father and mother, and the g/friend is the one that 'set this up',,, I would be open to a meeting w/psychologist involving the 'parent's', but this isn't about the parents, the g/friend let it be known, she can give child Everything and all the extras, not me, the mother,and g/friend can't have kids, now she wants mine.

I won't address most of this post but if dad is required to carry insurance on the child and won't provide you with proof you may be able to file contempt (that is what my fiance did stating that he had no proof that mom had insurance due to the fact that she would not give him a card) Granted the judge didn't throw the book at her but he got the insurance card.

rmet4nzkx

This has gotten way off tract, a new thread should have been started rather than hijacking this thread.

That being said here are a few facts:

Parents have just as much right to take a child to a psychologist as any other health provider, they don't need special permission to do so and if this is a professional counselor, they abide by the rules and laws related to that practice.

There are rules of confidentiality and different than medical as to what information is released to a parent, just because you are the parent doesn't give you the right to know every detail of therapy, you will be released information as allowed under the law.

As to the situation where the finacee provided medical insurance, that is wonderful, what a progressive employee benefit! It doesn't matter who's policy covers the child, only that the child is covered. That doesn't give the fiancee, parents or step-parent or you anymore access to the others medical records or confidential informaiton than any other situation. It doesn't entitle any of the parents to information beyond what is allowed by law. I'll bet what happened is that the new cards were not available yet, and the father, child and fiancee went for a family session re impending marriage adjustment on the fiancee's card, and the mother is not privy to therapeutic consultation notes, only that it occured, or the psychologist may have seen the child with verbal billing authority, some mental health coverage has no cards, bills are submitted directly from the provider.

A lot of assumptions have been made, please remember there are other rules that apply to mental health treatment and access to that information or records.

styl4u64

rmet4nzkx said:
This has gotten way off tract, a new thread should have been started rather than hijacking this thread.

That being said here are a few facts:

Parents have just as much right to take a child to a psychologist as any other health provider, they don't need special permission to do so and if this is a professional counselor, they abide by the rules and laws related to that practice.

There are rules of confidentiality and different than medical as to what information is released to a parent, just because you are the parent doesn't give you the right to know every detail of therapy, you will be released information as allowed under the law.

As to the situation where the finacee provided medical insurance, that is wonderful, what a progressive employee benefit! It doesn't matter who's policy covers the child, only that the child is covered. That doesn't give the fiancee, parents or step-parent or you anymore access to the others medical records or confidential informaiton than any other situation. It doesn't entitle any of the parents to information beyond what is allowed by law. I'll bet what happened is that the new cards were not available yet, and the father, child and fiancee went for a family session re impending marriage adjustment on the fiancee's card, and the mother is not privy to therapeutic consultation notes, only that it occured, or the psychologist may have seen the child with verbal billing authority, some mental health coverage has no cards, bills are submitted directly from the provider.

A lot of assumptions have been made, please remember there are other rules that apply to mental health treatment and access to that information or records.
You're very right on one account, this thread got 'out of hand' with my questions, I'm sorry I also answered along that is true. But what is also true is that the 'fiance' said that I will NOT receive a card or be allowed to have access to Dr.'s names primary or other and that 'she' is the provider of the mandated requirements my ex is to provide so she will have control... word for word.

styl4u64 said:
You're very right on one account, this thread got 'out of hand' with my questions, I'm sorry I also answered along that is true. But what is also true is that the 'fiance' said that I will NOT receive a card or be allowed to have access to Dr.'s names primary or other and that 'she' is the provider of the mandated requirements my ex is to provide so she will have control... word for word.
How about this... if you don't like the NCP's fiance's way of handling things...then get your own medical coverage and do things your way!

rmet4nzkx

styl4u64 said:
Don't worry about it, you will have access to know the child's doctor's but under HIPAA laws you will have information re that, you may not have a card necessiarly she may not understand yet exactly how it works, she may not want you to have a copy of it if it has her SSN on it or other personal information so indeed she may have some control over her informaiton and card may have to be faxed to any other providers your child may see while with you, and she may indeed have to make the contacts for authorization. But your ex is providing the medical as per the law, it happens to be in conjunction with persons who also have rights to confidentiality. More than likely, you would have a card if it didn't have a SSN on it. Ask your ex for the names of the doctors, so you can contact them and also for list of doctors near your home unless they are one in the same, they may have had to pick a primary care from one group, if so then you will have to ask about emergency care while with you. Also ask him for numbers to contact insurance for authorization.

styl4u64

Thanks rmet',, I've tried that avenue too, I will try again and if it can't be handled maturely, I'll let the C/Support agent handle it, sorry all, I really did start off wondering if the original poster may have some same problems, but am guilty of adding my own scenario, thanks to all and oh yes Chelle, your suggestion is logical and I already do have insurance, but the beauty of finally trying to receive support for our child is the benefit of her father relieving me of support and the cost of healthcare after years of doing this w/out his help, but it's also ridiculous to have to succomb to his g/friend and her 'undisclose' to me, as she has written and told me, all matters regarding my child's healthcare solely on the fact 'she' provides it for the ex. Thanks ALL :eek:

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">