• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-custodial parent taking minor child to doctor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nsms

What is the name of your state? Missouri

My son's father took him to the doctor recently without consulting with his regular doctor and without consulting with me. This is the second time he has taken him to a doctor and without the doctor being properly informed regarding custody. He has visitation rights only. I have full legal/physical custody of my son. I feel the doctor neglected in requesting the proper information regarding legal custody and practicing medicine on my son without my permission. This was not an emergency situation. What should be my next step?

LdiJ

nsms said:

My son's father took him to the doctor recently without consulting with his regular doctor and without consulting with me. This is the second time he has taken him to a doctor and without the doctor being properly informed regarding custody. He has visitation rights only. I have full legal/physical custody of my son. I feel the doctor neglected in requesting the proper information regarding legal custody and practicing medicine on my son without my permission. This was not an emergency situation. What should be my next step?
Your next step would be to provide the doctor in question with proof that you have full legal/physical custody and that you do not authorize him to provide medical care to your child.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

nsms said:

My response:

How about shutting the hell up, and stop being an idiot?

Obviously, the child became ill while on Dad's visitation, and Dad, being the child's father, has EVERY RIGHT to take his child to the doctor. It's called "being a good parent".

What the hell kind of parent are you?

You forgot to mention whether there's a trailer in your story.

IAAL

rmet4nzkx

What was the purpose of the visit, how old is your child and how do you know it wasn't an appropriate visit?

nsms said:

~GEEZ! Lady, come on. Was the child ill or need medical attention? Stop doing whatever you can to get back at your ex and maybe start thinking of your child. RIDICULOUS!!!

nextwife

He didn't do surgery! He took the kid to see a doctor. Big whoop. Why would a parent NOT want their child to be seen by a doctor if the parent with them feels it's necessary?

My kid smashed her knee into the ice while "racing" at the skating rink with some older kids (darn she's fast!). Her toe pick caught in a rut and she went flying. It appeared she may have fractured her knee cap. If her dad had been the one with her, rather than I, WHY would I NOT want him to determine what medical treatment was appropriate and to see a doctor if necessary? Mom's aren't the only one's capable of taking a kid to the doctor. He's still the father.

BelizeBreeze

nextwife said:
He didn't do surgery! He took the kid to see a doctor. Big whoop. Why would a parent NOT want their child to be seen by a doctor if the parent with them feels it's necessary?
Control nexie, control.
After all, she's MOMMY!!! :rolleyes:

nextwife

Gee. And here I'd be annoyed with my husband if he DIDN'T act on his own, as needed, if our kiddo had need of a doctor.
I'd be saying "Why the heck did you wait for me? Can't you figure out that she needed to see a doctor?" Poor guys today, they just can't win.

nextwife said:
Gee. And here I'd be annoyed with my husband if he DIDN'T act on his own, as needed, if our kiddo had need of a doctor.
I'd be saying "Why the heck did you wait for me? Can't you figure out that she needed to see a doctor?" Poor guys today, they just can't win.
"AMEN"!!!!!!!!

casa

nsms said:

I have sole legal/physical custody of one of my children and father has visitation- He still has the right to seek medical treatment, if necessary, while our child is in his care.

If the father of your child did not seek medical care- You'd be complaining that he didn't properly care for the child during visitation.

You have a right to the medical records and to speak to the Dr. about the visit and find out the outcome etc. Try asking father to just notify you next time. BTW~ If father didnt' notify you, how did you find out?

PS Most Dr.s assume the parent taking the child in (Who has physical care of the child at the time) has custody or at least visitation rights- both which allow for treatment when needed.

Last edited:

LdiJ

nextwife said:
Look, I agree with everyone. However there was a reason that the judge gave mom full legal/physical custody....AND that does mean that dad cannot take the child to the doctor without mom's approval (unless its an emergency) just like grandparents or aunts and uncles can't take a child to the doctor without the parent's permission. Plus, he isn't taking the child to the child's regular doctor, which in and of itself isn't appropriate in a non-emergency situation.

Last edited:

casa

LdiJ said:
Look, I agree with everyone. However there was a reason that the judge gave mom full legal/physical custody....AND that does mean that dad cannot take the child to the doctor without mom's approval (unless its an emergency) just like grandparents or aunts and uncles can't take a child to the doctor without the parent's permission. Plus, he isn't taking the child to the child's regular doctor, which in and of itself isn't inappropriate in a non-emergency situation.
We dont' know if the "regular" Dr. is in the town/area the father was while having visitation either. We definately could use more specific facts in this case.

I have sole legal/physical of one of my children and it isn't because the father was dangerous- just that he was a no-show at court.

casa

rmet4nzkx said:
There is more to this story, me thinks OP protestest too much!
You know, I agree. I was thinking it's either a major control issue, or there was some type of uncomfort of what a Dr. would find? :rolleyes: I may be out of line, but usually I hear how parents are upset that the children are NOT taken to a Dr. :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">