• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-custodial parent, visitation, school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

battists

The father of my step-son, who is the non-custodial parent, is coming to visit his 6-year old son in a few weeks. He'll be here for 4 days, and he wants us to take his son out of school for the two weekdays that he will be here so he can spend more time with him. My wife has custody, and there is no formal visitation plan (court-ordered or otherwise) in place.

Our feeling is that we really don't want him missing school, and that it sends a bad message and could set a bad precedent. We also feel that he should schedule his visits around the numerous school holidays.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Steve

D

deefran

battists said:
The father of my step-son, who is the non-custodial parent, is coming to visit his 6-year old son in a few weeks. He'll be here for 4 days, and he wants us to take his son out of school for the two weekdays that he will be here so he can spend more time with him. My wife has custody, and there is no formal visitation plan (court-ordered or otherwise) in place.

Our feeling is that we really don't want him missing school, and that it sends a bad message and could set a bad precedent. We also feel that he should schedule his visits around the numerous school holidays.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Steve
If the father wants visitation, he should file for it legally in a court of law. The mother should let him know now that pulling the child out of school is not acceptable for his visitation. Children are not in school for 24 hours, they are home between the times of 3 and 3:30.There is plenty of time between after-school and bedtime to spend time with his son. Remember it's not the QUANTITY of the time it's the QUALITY of the time. It's good that the mother is willing to allow him visitation with no court orders, it's always good to have some sort of scheduled visitation though so times like this will not disrupt a child's life or schooling.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">