• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-married father seeking custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MarlenePowers

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi- How do you serve court papers for paternity test and custody when the mother is hiding in a domestic violence shelter? She has post-pardem depression and left her medication. She also left court documents detailing how she lost her first born child to domestic violence and parental abuse. I'm just the Aunt trying to be supportive of my brother. Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

MarlenePowers

My brother doesn't have access to a computer, some things had to go in order to afford an attorney, which he has hired but the local PD wouldn't supply the info to the process server without a subpoena. The attorney got the subpoena and the local PD had 10 days to comply. Court dates have been rescheduled. But...
The records at the local PD don't specify which shelter they took her to.

acmb05

I'm sure there aren't THAT many, the server will just have to check them all.
Which won't do much good because the shelters are forbidden from giving out that information. He is going to have to wait for the PD to supply it.

I am wondering if the OP's brother is the reason she is in the shelter or not.

MarlenePowers

No my brother has not abused her, in fact she abused him. My brother returned to the home after she left and found that she had left court documents from when she lost her firstborn child due to domestic violence and the child had bruises literally from head to toe. She hasn't complied with court ordered anger management or probation. My brother didn't know anything about this. She doesn't want to go to court, that's why she is hiding in the DV shelter.

Last edited:

LdiJ

No my brother has not abused her, in fact she abused him. My brother returned to the home after she left and found that she had left court documents from when she lost her firstborn child due to domestic violence and the child had bruises literally from head to toe. She hasn't complied with court ordered anger management or probation. My brother didn't know anything about this. She doesn't want to go to court, that's why she is hiding in the DV shelter.
Hon, that's your brother's version of the story. There is his version, and her version, and likely a third version that is closer to the truth.

MarlenePowers

Hon, that's your brother's version of the story. There is his version, and her version, and likely a third version that is closer to the truth.
All I can BELIEVE is what I have read in black and white, that's notarized. But I just have to say Hon, is that you sound very sarcastic. I came here looking for information, what gives???

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You DO realize that notarization does nothing except prove that the person signing is the person they claim they are? It doesn't prove the truth of what's in the notarized document. Not at all.

LdiJ

All I can BELIEVE is what I have read in black and white, that's notarized. But I just have to say Hon, is that you sound very sarcastic. I came here looking for information, what gives???
I am talking about the situation between your brother and mom. Not about mom's past issues.

Also, that wasn't sarcasm at all. Unless you lived in the household with them and personally observed all the dynamics of their marriage, you cannot know any more than your brother's side of the story.

MarlenePowers

I am talking about the situation between your brother and mom. Not about mom's past issues.

Also, that wasn't sarcasm at all. Unless you lived in the household with them and personally observed all the dynamics of their marriage, you cannot know any more than your brother's side of the story.
PLEASE read the title of this thread. No marriage. Mom has been diagnosed with PMD and refuses to take her medication. Just the baby caught in the middle, and I fear from the notarized court documents is in a very unsafe situation. What I know of the mother is from those court documents and a judges attached ruling. I was once an abused wife and barely got out alive. I have come to know both sides now. I also know that there are as many or more women out there that abuse as well. This is not the first time I've run up on this bias that all men are guilty until proven innocent in abuse situations. I just wanted some information**************

mistoffolees

PLEASE read the title of this thread. No marriage. Mom has been diagnosed with PMD and refuses to take her medication. Just the baby caught in the middle, and I fear from the notarized court documents is in a very unsafe situation. What I know of the mother is from those court documents and a judges attached ruling. I was once an abused wife and barely got out alive. I have come to know both sides now. I also know that there are as many or more women out there that abuse as well. This is not the first time I've run up on this bias that all men are guilty until proven innocent in abuse situations. I just wanted some information**************
If there is reason to believe that the child is in danger from the documents she left, you can contact CPS. They should be able to track down which shelter she is in.

acmb05

I'll give them a call. Thanks
You can call them, they will not give you any information either. You see, until your brother establishes paternity he is nothing legally to the child and cps will tell him nor you anything.

Like I said you are going to have to let the attorney handle it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">