• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

noncustodial parent questions about cell phone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I disagree slightly: If dad did not assist mom in making plans for visit, then dad shares a great deal of the blame as well.

Mom should not just show up for one week/weekend, and tell Dad, "we're here, this is your visit!".

If Dad has not tried to coordinate with Mom...

Of course, my opinion is based solely on what Mom has written (and we only have her story to go on...)
I can agree with that... My point is that mom states that dad has only seen the child a few times and SHE has only travelled to MO twice in 11 years. How many times has dad asked? How many times has dad wanted visits in MO? How many times has mom denied? But I can agree with what you have stated as far as it goes. But I think there is more to it and mom is painting dad as ridiculous and not acknowledging her role in depriving dad of time and contact. Her child SHOULD be calling her father back AND answering the phone. Mom doesn't seem to care.

I foresee her coming back in a few months and asking how her new hubby/boyfriend can adopt or how she can terminate rights.

LdiJ

I can agree with that... My point is that mom states that dad has only seen the child a few times and SHE has only travelled to MO twice in 11 years. How many times has dad asked? How many times has dad wanted visits in MO? How many times has mom denied? But I can agree with what you have stated as far as it goes. But I think there is more to it and mom is painting dad as ridiculous and not acknowledging her role in depriving dad of time and contact. Her child SHOULD be calling her father back AND answering the phone. Mom doesn't seem to care.

I foresee her coming back in a few months and asking how her new hubby/boyfriend can adopt or how she can terminate rights.
I think that is a bit of a stretch. Dad went 4 years without communicating with the child at all and has just now started making phone calls. This really doesn't sound like one that we should be pinning on mom. Any 12 year old is going to be reluctant to communicate with someone that has ignored them for 4 years.

msmom1606

wrt = with respect to. So - what do your orders state wrt phone calls?
that he is allowed to have contact once a week by phone.
I do want to add, that if I have offended anyone here, I apologize. I am not here to fight, or argue with anyone, but to really get answers. My ex is not my enemy, we are on good terms. He has only asked to see her 3 times in 11 years. He has seen her 4 times. 2 times he came to us in Mississippi, 2 times I took her to see him in Missouri (one of those times he did not request, but I was hoping he would see her and want to be with her more). I am not dating and that is by choice, I am happy being her mother and working to support us. So, I will not be coming on here wanting to know about some boyfriend adopting her. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

Silverplum

Post #1:
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi
I am the custodial parent to my 12 year old daughter. Her father has been mostly absent since our divorce 11 years ago. We moved to Mississippi and he has only seen her 4 times, 2 of those times was when i brought her to him in Missouri. The last ruling in court stated that he could only see her with myself or my parents present and he was not allowed to take her out of the state. He hadn't attempted to contact her for 4 years since that ruling. He has been calling since March 2-3 times a month. She has refused to talk to him all but two of those times, when I forced her to talk. She has a cell phone of her own, but she lied to him and told him she didn't. She told me later that she didn't want him to have her number. Last night he called and she would not say more than hello, and then handed me back the phone. He then told me he was thinking about getting her a phone where he could call her, and she could call him. I told him that it would be foolish to spend money on it if she wont talk to him, but I didn't tell him she already has a phone. What are my legal obligations regarding this, I don't want to break a rule or go against her wishes.
Post #19, answering stealth's question about the court order wrt phone calls:
that he is allowed to have contact once a week by phone.
I do want to add, that if I have offended anyone here, I apologize. I am not here to fight, or argue with anyone, but to really get answers. My ex is not my enemy, we are on good terms. He has only asked to see her 3 times in 11 years. He has seen her 4 times. 2 times he came to us in Mississippi, 2 times I took her to see him in Missouri (one of those times he did not request, but I was hoping he would see her and want to be with her more). I am not dating and that is by choice, I am happy being her mother and working to support us. So, I will not be coming on here wanting to know about some boyfriend adopting her. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.
You've answered your own question.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Let's bottom-line it. You have to make her available for phone contact once per week. The court can't force her to talk.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">