• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not to beat a dead horse...Court Ordered Visitation and kidnapping

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dsp2008

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

I have a court order for visitation every other weekend with my grandchildren. It was granted Jan 2007. In Oct 2007 I stopped picking them up. This was after the guardians called the police to my house, filed with dss against my daughter-in-law and took me back to court to "suspend" my visitation. Basically, nothing happened but they are looking at everything to boot me, mys son, my daughter-in-law, and anyone else in my family out of the children's lives. The judge at that time continued the visitation order with some slight modifications. Every time I have gone to pick up the children there have been terse words from the guardians. Every email is filled with horrible accusations of things that have not happened and how horrible I am. Oh, and how wonderful they are!

I began asking about a month and a half ago to have my grandchildren for a day (to start with). The guardians refused saying that now they had permanent guardianship and the court order for visitation was terminated. I reread the court orders and in no way was the visitation tied to the temporary or permanent guardianship. I was never brought into court to have the visitation order vacated either.

My daugther-in-law spoke to a legal friend of hers who said that the guardians can probably get away with this because of all of the time loss (about a year). She said I should and still can file contempt but the judge probably won't find it, the judge will just re-evaluate the situation and decide whether or not I can still see the kids as previously ordered. The lawyer friend also said to be careful because the guardians might let me take the kids but then may claim kidnapping ???

What is all of you-alls take on this? What should I do?

Zephyr

after a year of you not trying to use the time the court granted you- I think your best bet may be to try to make nice with the guardians and see the kids a few time prior to trying any court action.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
This belongs in your original thread. Starting multiple threads on the same topic is not going to endear you to the people who can help. Please add this to your first thread, then delete this. Thank you.

dsp2008

No making nice with those people

after a year of you not trying to use the time the court granted you- I think your best bet may be to try to make nice with the guardians and see the kids a few time prior to trying any court action.
There is no making nice with the guardians. It does not matter what I do or say. They are hell-bent on keeping the children. My son and daughter-in-law are fighting to get them back but the guardians (her parents are devious beyond belief and are either making up stories or encouraging my grandchildren to make up stories, or both about things that have not happened while the kids are in my care.)

It has taken this time for me to get my head screwed on straight because of all the crap they have said about and to me. They are nasty people. This has been going on for 2 years now.

BTW, I am sorry about the posting a new thread. I am new to this stuff.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">