• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Notarized Letter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sweetness1010

What is the name of your state? md
I wanted to know if a notarized letter is admissible in court, if 2 parties sign it, and The other party does not have a copy of the notarized letter. Can he take me to court if he doesn't have a copy of the notarized letter? And since I am the only one who has a copy of this letter, does it mean that he can't take me to court for the letter, if he doesn't have a copy of it.
The notarized letter is in regards of child support payments.
I was wondering if I can just rip it up, and just go as the actual court order says, and not abide to the notarized letter.

Whyte Noise

Nothing changes what a court order says except another court order.

Notarized or not, that paper doesn't mean squat.

A lot of people think that a notary imprinting and signing a paper makes it "legal". Not so.

You show your ID to the notary, they look at it, look at you, and compare signatures on the item you want them to notarize. If they accept that the signature on the ID AND the document are indeed the same (and, is the person standing in front of them), they notarize it.

Basically, all a notarized document means is that the person signing the document is indeed the person standing in front of the notary.

S

sweetness1010

Question?

No matter what a notarized letter can't be used against a court order??? I am just a little uneasy about if it's legal or not?

J

jez51

Re: Question?

sweetness1010 said:
No matter what a notarized letter can't be used against a court order??? I am just a little uneasy about if it's legal or not?
MG told you right, Court Orders totally override notarized letters.
When you have something notarized, like a car title, bill of sale, or a waiver to appear, etc. it means you are agreeing to what is on that legal document and the notary witnessed it. But custody, child support and visitation is not something a notary can legalize.

Whyte Noise

A notarized letter is NOT a "legal" document.

One of the most common uses of a notary in civil law is when you have to file a "verified" petition. That means, the notary "verifies" that what's included in the petition was stated by you as being true to the best of your knowledge.

But, in no way, shape, or form will a notarized document between 2 parties override a court order signed by a judge, unless the judge incorporates that same document into the order. Then, and ONLY then, will it be a legal, binding, document.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">