• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Notification of Illness

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ericade85

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama...

Is a custodial parent required by law to notify a non custodial parent if a child becomes seriously ill..like has a seizure??

Isis1

Is a custodial parent required by law to notify a non custodial parent if a child becomes seriously ill..like has a seizure??
okay. here goes. how does DAD know for a fact the child has a seizure? hospital records? a phone call from the doctor's office?

*hint* the facebook page is not proof

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

No. Quite simply, NO. And the CP is definitely not required to notify the other parent's bed buddy either. Nor does the CP have to discuss or inform the bed buddy (even NCP's marital bed buddy) of anything. Nor does the CP have to be polite to the NCP's new bed buddy/partner/spouse. Should I continue?

ecmst12

Not all seizures indicate a serious illness. Sometimes young children have seizures from a fever, but no lasting damage is done and it doesn't mean it will ever happen again.

And on the other hand, maybe it's the onset of epilepsy, but that will take days or maybe even weeks of testing to determine, and I'm sure if he IS diagnosed with something that requires continual management and/or medication, mom will discuss it with dad. Meantime, keep your nose out of it.

CJane

Does the order say ANYTHING about this? For instance, MINE says "Each party shall promptly inform the other of any medical issues that arose during the parent's time."

Does the order say ANYTHING about this? For instance, MINE says "Each party shall promptly inform the other of any medical issues that arose during the parent's time."
Wow, my order only required me to notify Dad. He never had to tell me if Son got sick or needed medical attention in his care. It was just in the standard order they gave us that the CP should immediatley notify the NCP of any serious illness or injury requiring medical attention.

maryjo

Hmm....I went and looked at my order and it doesnt say anything other than we expect that the other parent can make emergency medical decisions for the other and to inform the other parent. But it doesnt say when. I had always thought it had to be within 24 hours but I guess i was wrong.

Anyway, unless the seizure was longer than 3 minutes, and there arent more of them, it probably wasnt a big deal. Seizures look scarier than they actually are.

Which doesnt negate the fact that you have no business on her Facebook page and none of this concerns you.

And while I am at it...how are you on someone's Facebook page and "accidentally" find out??

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Erica -

Let the FATHER and the MOTHER work this out. Your place is way, WAY in the background.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
MaryJo, Natalie & CJane: None of you guys have orders from Alabama. :cool:

My orders (made in Alabama) are silent on notifying LYD if The Child has medical issues (or any other issues, for that matter). And (as OG said) there is nothing in the Alabama Statutes that says Mom has to notify Dad of diddly.

MichaCA

As well, in CA, there are no orders...a parent can request it be ordered that contact is made after an emergency. My ex took me to court after I took daughter into hospital (middle of the night) for barking cough (I didn't know how to deal with at the time or what was going on). I called dad the following morning, he took it to court and had a clause put in I must call him IMMEDIATLY upon any emergency. I asked it be included in our court order that if daughter is sick enough to miss school, and/or has a fever, that we call each other the same day and inform. Otherwise, an email during that visitation period if any other sickness. All the above was approved. My exp (here in CA) is pretty much ask and I know dad has been able to get a ton of stuff approved.

Isis1

As well, in CA, there are no orders...a parent can request it be ordered that contact is made after an emergency. My ex took me to court after I took daughter into hospital (middle of the night) for barking cough (I didn't know how to deal with at the time or what was going on). I called dad the following morning, he took it to court and had a clause put in I must call him IMMEDIATLY upon any emergency. I asked it be included in our court order that if daughter is sick enough to miss school, and/or has a fever, that we call each other the same day and inform. Otherwise, an email during that visitation period if any other sickness. All the above was approved. My exp (here in CA) is pretty much ask and I know dad has been able to get a ton of stuff approved.
wow. that, to me anyway, is so stupid. the father of my two older boys tried this same stunt. 11 year old was in the principal's office, (for bringing a knife to school) i was called in. took me 3 minutes to get there, i called his dad within two minutes of walking in the door. he complained to the court i didn't call fast enough. so the judge did this...:rolleyes::rolleyes:.

hospital ER visits, if the child is admitted...okay. but not for afterhour care.

Zephyr

While it may not be a requirement, I do think that failing to notify the other parent of an illness or seizure etc is pretty damn disrespectful, horrible co-parenting and certainly not the way any of us would wish to be treated. I can't believe parents do that to each other.....don't know why I can't believe it- ex has done it to me, while I have when there was an issue called him as soon as we got to the ER....

ecmst12

At the point that stepmom saw the facebook post, mom would still have been waiting for test results to find out if there was a need to notify dad, or just to have something definite to tell him. It was only the next day. OP is overreacting and overstepping.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">