• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Notification of Interception

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

PJ#1

I got a letter from the CSEA about three months ago stating that my income tax return would POSSIBLY be intercepted. I owe just over $1000.00 in Arears. I was told by someone who had this happen to them that the IRS themselves must by federal law inform me about any intercept. I haven't heard from the IRS.
Question is: Am I to assume this late in the game that if I haven't heard from the IRS, they didn't get an intercept in place for this year? The arears was agreed to in the middle of September of 2000. Could they have took too long and not had time to place an intercept for this return for this year?
Thank you in advance for your help!
PeeJ

L

LadyBlu

PJ#1 said:
I got a letter from the CSEA about three months ago stating that my income tax return would POSSIBLY be intercepted. I owe just over $1000.00 in Arears. I was told by someone who had this happen to them that the IRS themselves must by federal law inform me about any intercept. I haven't heard from the IRS.
Question is: Am I to assume this late in the game that if I haven't heard from the IRS, they didn't get an intercept in place for this year? The arears was agreed to in the middle of September of 2000. Could they have took too long and not had time to place an intercept for this return for this year?
PeeJ

The IRS notifies you after they have intercepted the refund. They have to give you time to dispute the intercept. In order to do so, you would need a statement from the CSEA stating the arrears have been paid in full.

P

PJ#1

When do they notify you of the intercept? After you file?
If they never said anything yet, is it possible they arent going to intercept it?

L

LadyBlu

PJ#1 said:
When do they notify you of the intercept? After you file?
If they never said anything yet, is it possible they arent going to intercept it?
I already told you the IRS send you a letter AFTER they get your IRS return. They cannot send you a letter telling you they have INTERCEPTED your return if they dont have a return in front of them.
The CSEA tells you of their INTENT to INTERCEPT hoping you will pay all arrears before you file so they dont have to do that. But if you OWE MONEY at the time your RETURN IS FILED they will INTERCEPT YOUR TAX RETURN THEN WRITE YOU A LETTER TELLING YOU WHAT YOU NEED TO DO.

P

PJ#1

You are a very rude bitch! People come on here for help. Just because they don't get what your'e saying right away dosent give you the right to jump down their throats. If you arent a people oriented person who likes to try and help people get the hell off the advice sites!

L

LadyBlu

Yes I am a rude bitch and you are an idiot that cannot even read. Because if you had of I would not have had to be rude in the first place. I clearly stated in my reply that the IRS contacts you *AFTER* they have Intercepted your refund.
Beings YOU are the one that resorted to hostility and name calling I can safely assume that the lack of reading skills is in synche with your lack of vocabulary skills.

PJ#1 said:
You are a very rude bitch! People come on here for help. Just because they don't get what your'e saying right away dosent give you the right to jump down their throats. If you arent a people oriented person who likes to try and help people get the hell off the advice sites!

Would they tell me before i file for my return?

PJ#1 When do they notify you of the intercept? After you file?
LadyBlu quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by PJ#1
PeeJ
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Reply:

The IRS notifies you [BOLD]after[/BOLD] they have intercepted the refund. They have to give you time to dispute the intercept. In order to do so, you would need a statement from the CSEA stating the arrears have been paid in full.

jyoung

listen PJ, dude, don't come on here yelling at people who are trying to help others because you are mentally incapable of reading plain english. I and everyone who read Lady Blu's first answer to you understood it, so pay your obligations, save up some money and go take a remedial english course. Better yet, move to a country where there is no IRS and we'll all be better off.

Q

qtpie

I, myself, know of several people who had their refunds intercepted by the IRS and had no knowledge that they were going to do such a thing. One is not ALWAYS notified of an interception-by the IRS or CSE.

If you are in doubt as to whether your refund will be intercepted, you need to call the IRS and simply ask whether your refund is "flagged" for an interception.
They have an 800# that you can call and get answers to your tax law questions and you will speak with an actual person.
But, remember, you will likely wait on "hold" for about 20-30 minutes.

I know for a FACT that their lists of who is flagged and who isn't is updated WEEKLY.

P

PJ#1

Thank you QTpie for actually helping me!
I called the IRS yesterday and one lady told me their system is updated weekly and the other person said they are updated daily! Which is it? Even they tell me different things! What is the fastest way to file returns?

L

LadyBlu

PJ#1 said:
Thank you QTpie for actually helping me!
I called the IRS yesterday and one lady told me their system is updated weekly and the other person said they are updated daily! Which is it? Even they tell me different things! What is the fastest way to file returns?
It dont matter how fast you file.. *S* they are still going to take your return. If you owe money you have to pay the piper,.... get used to it.

P

PJ#1

Ahh, lady blu, youre wrong! If there is no offset in place when I file my return time is a factor. If the offset comes into place in the middle of a long four week processing my check is gone. If I process my check before the offset is in the IRS system the check will be mailed to me! So, time is a major factor for me if there is no offset at the time I file. Their system is updated DAILY. So, time is very important. Now do you see why I am concerned about the time?

Q

qtpie

You're right, PJ. Timing IS a factor. If the IRS doesn't update their list until Thursday and you file on Wednesday (and you're not flagged as of Wednesday) then you WILL receive your refund.

Your best bet is to call the IRS again the DAY you go in to have your taxes done. That way you will know exactly what you're in for. That's what WE are going to do.

It's not as cut-and-dried as some believe.

As far as fast filing, we always file electronically. If there is anything in your decree (if you have one) pertaining to who gets to claim the child(ren) what years, then by all means, take along a copy of the decree so copies can be sent along to the IRS.

There is also an 800# that you can call that will tell you if your refund has been sent out yet and what day it WAS sent out (providing you don't spend the extra money to do "rapid refund").

Cover ALL your bases and Good Luck!

jyoung

trying hard not to pass judgement here but now I know what Legal Beagle is talking about. Cut to the chase here, this guys owes arrears in child support that his child is entitled to and here we are debating with him about the best way for him to keep or not keep his money. For shame.

P

PJ#1

No-I have a court date coming up in a few weeks and one of the topics being discussed is weather or not I will have to pay this back support because of certain circumstances in our case. I am not robbing my child of a penny. It's not my fault the mother didn't tell me I had a child until a year after she was born! Not my fault and my attorney says the judge will not likley make me pay all that back support.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">