• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

notifying CP of address change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JBsGirl

The NCP moved more than 10 days ago and in MN each parent has 10 days to notify the other parent of an address change. NCP has not provided me with the new address or phone number or anything. Can I tell him that I need this information before I will allow him to take our child for the weekend? I don't want to send the child over there not knowing where he is or how to reach him.

jeanine

Don't interfere with NCP's visitation. Simply send him/her a certified letter requesting the information within 5 days and quote the MN law saying it has to be within 10 days.

J

JBsGirl

So it's not reasonable for me to request to know where my child is going to be? How will I know where to pick him up on Sunday? Is it reasonable to demand an address for that purpose?

jeanine

Unless your x is a mass murderer or chronic drug abuser, I don't think that is grounds enough. Do you think he will kidnap the child? You have to have some proof or a good faith reason before interfering with visitation.

If it is stated in the laws of your state you are not being unreasonable wanting to know their present address and phone number and until it is provided I personally would not release the child. Will you get in trouble for it maybe but under the circimstances the likely hood is not . You are not asking where the days trip is going to be your are needing the home address maybe and emergency might happen etc. if you have no way of knowing nor being able to contact them, how can you not be sure a kiddnapping might occur. Put it in writting you want the address and phone number state the law and also state you are not comfortable about visitation until you have this present info. Careful of the wording though........

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">