• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NY - Saratoga County Standby Guardian Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Saervok

New York State, Saratoga County

I am currently in a relationship in which my girlfriend is pregnant, due to some severe complications that have arisen it is possible that she may encounter a situation which will leave her unable to care for both the unborn child as well as her son (3 years old) who lives with us.

In the event that something should happen to her during the course of this pregnancy, which unfortunately appears more likely than can be dismissed, and her condition becomes terminal, our concern is what would happen with her son.

His father is currently serving a 60 year sentence with no real possibility of parole, and should something should happen to her it is unknown as to what might happen to her son. We would like to put something in place with regards to guardianship of the child to ensure that he remains in our home in the event that something was to happen.

What is required to ensure that the proper procedures are followed to have standby guardianship applied to myself, when there is no custody agreement between the mother and father, and the father is legally incapable of providing for the child. I do not anticipate any difficulty with regards to consent from either party, just wanted to make sure all of the appropriate aspects are covered.

Thank You in advance for any assistance you can provide in this matter,
Stewart

Silverplum

I am currently in a relationship in which my girlfriend is pregnant, due to some severe complications that have arisen it is possible that she may encounter a situation which will leave her unable to care for both the unborn child as well as her son (3 years old) who lives with us.

In the event that something should happen to her during the course of this pregnancy, which unfortunately appears more likely than can be dismissed, and her condition becomes terminal, our concern is what would happen with her son.

His father is currently serving a 60 year sentence with no real possibility of parole, and should something should happen to her it is unknown as to what might happen to her son. We would like to put something in place with regards to guardianship of the child to ensure that he remains in our home in the event that something was to happen.

What is required to ensure that the proper procedures are followed to have standby guardianship applied to myself, when there is no custody agreement between the mother and father, and the father is legally incapable of providing for the child. I do not anticipate any difficulty with regards to consent from either party, just wanted to make sure all of the appropriate aspects are covered.

Stewart
http://www.courts.state.ny.us/courts/nyc/family/faqs_guardianship.shtml

http://www.nycourts.gov/forms/surrogates/guardianship.shtml

Just Blue

Stewart
Take your GF to the preacher and get MARRIED. Then do an adoption ASAP. WITH AN ATTORNEY. That is your best option.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">