• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Once a Dead Beat Dad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

ERSMITH811

What is the name of your state? Indiana
My best friend's ex-boyfriend has suddenly appeared in to her's and their daughter's life. Their daughter is one year old. He has not made any attempt to see their daughter, nor has he paid any child support. Well, today she receives papers and he is filing for custody. He is a know criminal and drug user. Anything she can do to keep him from getting visitation?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ERSMITH811 said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana
My best friend's ex-boyfriend has suddenly appeared in to her's and their daughter's life. Their daughter is one year old. He has not made any attempt to see their daughter, nor has he paid any child support. Well, today she receives papers and he is filing for custody. He is a know criminal and drug user. Anything she can do to keep him from getting visitation?

My response:

You're mixing apple and oranges. First you mention "custody", and then you mention "visitation." Which is it?

Also, what's your girlfriend's "history"; e.g., is she a criminal, or what? What's his reasoning for wanting "custody"?

IAAL

E

ERSMITH811

IAAL,
She says he filing for "Custody" but she also mentioned visitation. I'm not exactly sure. Either way, she doesn't want him to have any visitation. She wants no child support. She is very good person. She has never so much as received a traffic ticket. She is a great mom. She has a good job working for our Sheriff's Dept. We believe the reason he is doing this is due to pressure from his new girlfriend.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ERSMITH811 said:
IAAL,
She says he filing for "Custody" but she also mentioned visitation. I'm not exactly sure. Either way, she doesn't want him to have any visitation. She wants no child support. She is very good person. She has never so much as received a traffic ticket. She is a great mom. She has a good job working for our Sheriff's Dept. We believe the reason he is doing this is due to pressure from his new girlfriend.

My response:

The court will order visitation, unless his criminal history is particularly heinous, and even then, he'll get "monitored visitation" at the very least. He will also be ordered to pay child support.

Your girlfriend only has herself to blame for this situation because she had to have known what type of person he was when she decided to become pregnant. And, if she didn't know, then she was going through life with "blinders" on, and really has no excuses.

Now, she must come to grips with the situation and play the cards that were dealt to her.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">