• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Oops I missed my court date-now what?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

grndscrpr03

What is the name of your state? IL

Well I looked at the calendar wrong. I was supposed to have a court date today and I thought it was tomorrow. I just noticed that it was today(six hours late) My ex g/f is taking me to court for child support for my three and a half year old daughter. What should I do about missing the court hearing? Is there someone I should call or what? I didn't get a lawyer so I have no idea of what to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

grndscrpr03 said:
What is the name of your state? IL

Well I looked at the calendar wrong. I was supposed to have a court date today and I thought it was tomorrow. I just noticed that it was today(six hours late) My ex g/f is taking me to court for child support for my three and a half year old daughter. What should I do about missing the court hearing? Is there someone I should call or what? I didn't get a lawyer so I have no idea of what to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

My response:

That was a very expensive mistake. Your g/f undoubtedly received everything she asked for in her Petition.

Now, it's up to you to unravel your mess. First, go to the courthouse and get a copy of today's orders. If, in fact, she won by "default", and the matter WASN'T continued to a new date, then you'll need to pay an attorney to file a Motion to Vacate your default.

That's where the "expensive mistake" comes into play.

IAAL

grndscrpr03

Is there anything else I can do? Basically what you are saying is if they didn't reschedule the hearing then I got fu!$ed. I wasn't out to try to get out of paying as much as I was trying to get out of a few other things. For instance the papers said they were going to try to hold me liable for the hospital bill from when my ex was in there. Well at the time she had a medical card from DHS and they paid it all. She spent 28 days in the hospital and then another 2 days when she actually gave birth. I don't fell as if I should pay that whole bill all by myself. If I was rich and made lots of money then I wouldn't care, but I don't. So I am trying to do as much as I could. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

K

kindnesscounts

Yes, that's the truth of the matter. What IAAL says is right. Like it or not.

Yes, I personally understand how those things can happen---and how it's not always intentional! I've done it before myself (though never w/ something as important a court date) But no matter what I understand, the fact of the matter is you had a date & time to appear in court. And you didn't make it. You weren't incapacitated in the hospital on death's door or in the morgue. You simply looked at your calandar wrong. That reason won't fly with a judge.

I know it's harsh, but if this is that important a matter to you, take IAAL's advice! Get a copy of the papers. If there was a continuance---SHOW up at the next date. If there wasn't, talk to a local attorney about a Motion to Vacate. If you can't (or don't want to) do that--stop complaining and simply accept your mistake has cost you big time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">