• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

OT - Stupid people shouldn't breed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Whyte Noise

What is the name of your state? This happened in California

Sorry IAAL.

It amazes me that we have to have a license to drive a car, but anyone can have a child. :rolleyes:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/01/06/earlyshow/main1183318.shtml

(CBS/AP) A married couple who got a dog sitter for their puppies but left the man's young children home alone while they vacationed in Las Vegas were arrested, police said.

Jacob Calero, 39, and Michelle De La Vega, 32, were taken into custody Wednesday as they arrived home on a flight to Oakland. They had left town Friday to celebrate the new year, authorities said.

The couple apparently told 9-year-old Joshua to look after his 5-year-brother, Jason, who is autistic. The children spent one night alone before police found them.

The parents said they couldn't find anyone to look after the boys, reports CBS News Correspondent John Blackstone.

Their grandmother, Libbey Holden, said she called police because she had suspected the couple left the children at home in San Ramon, about 35 miles east of San Francisco.

"I had big concerns," Holden told reporters. "These kids are helpless. (They), like any other kids, or any other human beings, deserve the love, time and affection of a parent."

The parents did leave their cell phone numbers, just in case the kids needed anything, says Blackstone.

"We made several attempts to contact the parents on both cell phone numbers we had available to us and that were provided to the children in case there was an emergency. Those calls went unanswered" until Tuesday, said San Ramon, Calif. police Sgt. Brian Kalinowski.

Holden told Blackstone that, when she heard of plans for the Vegas trip, she told the boys' new stepmother the children should go with them. But Holden quoted the stepmother as responding, "We are newlyweds, and we are working. We deserve a vacation."

Holden and her husband say they now want custody of the boys, Blackstone reports, but at a court hearing Thursday, she was ordered not to speak publicly about the case any longer.

The children's mother, Holden's daughter, died of cancer in 2003.

Joshua told The Associated Press his father and stepmother got each other puppies for Christmas, which they brought to De La Vega's mother to care for before leaving town.

"I thought they loved them more than us," Joshua said to the AP during an interview.

Police said they found the children asleep in their beds Saturday night, a day after being left alone. A gas fireplace was turned on, but they found nothing out of the ordinary.

"It appears that the food and the environment were set up for them to be alone," Kalinowski said.

The older boy said he was instructed to not answer the front door, so officers had to use a ladder to enter the home through an unlocked sliding glass door on a second-floor balcony.

Neighbors went to the house Saturday after hearing the younger boy screaming, "Help me! Help me!" in the family's garage, Kalinowski said. Finding no one home, they took him to their house and left a note behind. When Joshua returned after about an hour, he took his brother home.

Calero and De La Vega each were being held on suspicion of two felony counts each of child endangerment. Bail was set at $200,000.

Joshua, who said he was glad his father was arrested, explained that he and his brother ate cereal for breakfast and cooked frozen dinners in the microwave for other meals. He said his dad and stepmother left while they were asleep. They had asked him to watch his younger brother, but didn't tell him where they were staying, he said.

"They shouldn't leave us alone," Joshua said. "I didn't know who I could call in an emergency. Even if I called my father, he's far away, so there wouldn't be much he could do."

Holden said she tried calling Calero, but couldn't reach him. Worried, she consulted friends, and finally decided to call authorities.

"It seems to me that, as a parent, you would take a plane, train or automobile to come back to your kids as soon as possible," Kalinowski said. "We get the sense that they felt no urgency for them to return home."

They flew from Las Vegas early Wednesday and were arrested at Oakland International Airport about 11 a.m. Both have requested lawyers and have refused to talk to police, Kalinowski said. Felony child endangerment carries a maximum sentence of six years in prison.

Joshua said it wasn't the first time he and his brother were left home alone. Last fall, his dad and stepmother kept him out of school for a week so he could baby sit his brother while they went away.

Calero is a plumber and De La Vega works in a dental office, police said.

rmet4nzkx

There are things happening here that are not being told. As outrageous as this seems, it may not be what it at first seems. You have to ask why is there a gag order for grandma? Why does she persist making the 10 yo child be a spokesman? There is no minimum age for a caretaker and apparently the neighbors who took care of the younger child for a time, didn't call anyone either and there were reports that the grandma was supposed to be taking care of the children. We may be seeing a subplot of a bigger picture. There are some language/communication problems. This is an upscale neighborhood and apparently there were adequate food etc.

LdiJ

rmet4nzkx said:
There are things happening here that are not being told. As outrageous as this seems, it may not be what it at first seems. You have to ask why is there a gag order for grandma? Why does she persist making the 10 yo child be a spokesman? There is no minimum age for a caretaker and apparently the neighbors who took care of the younger child for a time, didn't call anyone either and there were reports that the grandma was supposed to be taking care of the children. We may be seeing a subplot of a bigger picture. There are some language/communication problems. This is an upscale neighborhood and apparently there were adequate food etc.
The boy's statements bother me a little. They just don't sound like they are coming from a 9 year old child.

I kind of wondered if there might be more to the story. If they had been my grandchildren, I would have simply gone and gotten them. I might have called the police afterwards, but I wouldn't have sent the police to get them.

It will be interesting to see how this story unfolds. If these parents really did this however, I really hope they get hammered.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
My understanding is that this is not the first time the children have been left like this for an extended period of time. Also, grandma had been asked to baby sit - after already having the kids for an extended period around Christmas - and told Dad that she couldn't watch the kids.

At the end of the day - no reason why she should have to, nor is there really a legitimate reason to leave 9 & 5yo's alone for a week. At this point, the kids are with their godmother - and that may be the best place for them to remain.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
In addition, the grandmother in question apparently lives three hours away. So I don't see her calling the cops for a welfare check to be unreasonable.

And the "grandparent" watching the puppies (*) is the stepmother's mother, so not technically the kids' grandmother.

(*) The simple fact that people would give one another puppies as gifts, and then promptly dump them on a third party to go on vacation speaks volumes about these people's priorities. "oooooooooh look what Pookie gave me for Christmas! hee hee hee And isn't it cute? I got Pookie one, too! Oh, and Mommy... since Pookie and I want to go play newlyweds over New Years - can you keep the puppies and housebreak them for us? Oh, his kids? Oh, they'll be *fine*! Toodles!" Disgusting.

casa

LdiJ said:
The boy's statements bother me a little. They just don't sound like they are coming from a 9 year old child.

I kind of wondered if there might be more to the story. If they had been my grandchildren, I would have simply gone and gotten them. I might have called the police afterwards, but I wouldn't have sent the police to get them.

It will be interesting to see how this story unfolds. If these parents really did this however, I really hope they get hammered.
This is exactly what I was going to post! :p

rmet4nzkx

Sentence handed down, 3 years probation, some electronic monitoring, step mom's felony charge reduced to mis/aiding and abetting. No article available yet.
Additional facts
Nanny quit 10-14-5 because she couldn't control the Autistic child so children had been left home alone some times since then.
One time while in care of 10 yo brother (In Oct.) the autistic child was injured at a local park and taken by ambulance to the hospital, was there a report to police or CPS?
According to stepmother, grandmother was supposed to watch the children and would have taken them to LV with them otherwise. SM doesn't speak ENglish as a first language.

want2scream

why do people do this? as a stepmother i realize that the kids have to love their birth parents but they don't have to love the stepparent. and if you don't tread carefully, they never will. all i have are my stepkids, husband and i are not having any of our own, and i know what it is like to cherish them. i am not going to lie i also know what it is like to be hurt and abused by them but c'mon really. i don't even leave the 11 year old home alone for more than a few minutes (minorly autistic) let alone leaving them home for days. the kid is right, obviously someone IS more concerned about the dogs.

rmet4nzkx

want2scream said:
why do people do this? as a stepmother i realize that the kids have to love their birth parents but they don't have to love the stepparent. and if you don't tread carefully, they never will. all i have are my stepkids, husband and i are not having any of our own, and i know what it is like to cherish them. i am not going to lie i also know what it is like to be hurt and abused by them but c'mon really. i don't even leave the 11 year old home alone for more than a few minutes (minorly autistic) let alone leaving them home for days. the kid is right, obviously someone IS more concerned about the dogs.
The birth mother is DEAD, the family of the autistic child is eligible to receive respite services etc through the Regional Center and when child was taken to hospital by ambulance when brother providing care, not reported to CPS, this family has fallen through the cracks, perhaps they will get the help they need now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">