• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out of control teen!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jaglady

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Illinois My husbands ex has their will be 18 in August of this year son. She calls my husband alot crying and arguing with him about their son, who is taking drugs, drinking and has quit school. My husband pays his child support and is always on time with payments. He rarely gets to see his son, because the son is so out of control that he thinks he can do as he pleases. Now he has moved out of his mothers house and has moved in with his girlfriend, who is now pregnant. His mother has re-married and lives very comfortable with her husband, but she is now trying to convince my husband that she has talked their son into moving back home and going to school for another year so she can keep the child support money coming in for at least another year. My question is are their any laws in IL., that can help my husband out in this situation? We are very strapped on funds and have 3 children of our own who have needs also. My husband has tried talking to her about this situation and has explained to her that it was unfair for her to do this, but she insists that she doesn't care that she just wants the child support money to keep coming in. My husband has tried dealing with his son, but the son insists that he will do has he wants when he wants and will only visit his dad when it's at his convience (which is maybe once or twice a year). PLEASE HELP!!! ANY INFO AT ALL WOULD BE A BIG HELP. THANKS!

Grace_Adler

I don't know about your state, but if a child drops out or fails out of school here it is grounds to terminate CS. Of course you need to file a petition for modification (go to court) to do this. Don't just stop payments. If he can get school records that would help. Also I don't believe she is entitled to CS if the child is not living with her. Again..go to court to stop payments. Here are some links you can research as well:

http://www.childsupportguidelines.com
http://www.acf.dhhs.gov/programs/cse/index.html
http://polisci.com/web/slegis.htm

ktarra617

talk to a lawyer, get the enrollment from the school, on his 18th birthday go down to the courthouse with all your proof that his son is of age and not enrolled in school and file for the cs to stop.

If mom can't convince the boy to come back home and return to school then she can't keep cs coming in however if he does return home and does go back to school then your husband is obligated to pay until the kid graduates.

I would talk to a lawyer and call your local court to find out exactly what kinda paperwork you need to stop cs and get it together now. while the kid is still out. If he chooses to move back in later I don't think she can get it restarted so get moving on this while the moving is in your favor!

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">