• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out of the country

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

Icedreamer

What is the name of your state? NC

I'm a single mother of 3 who has been offered a really good job overseas. The father and I were never married, so there was never any formal custody arrangments made. However, he has not made any attempt in the 5 years we've been apart to contact the children in any way, and yes, he knows where we are. My problem is, in order for me to get passports for my children I need his permission to get them, which he has refused. Is there any way to get around this or am I going to have to take him court?

Thanks in advance for any adivce. :)

VeronicaGia

You will have to take him to court and see if the judge will allow the move. Has he paid support? If so, that is considered contact with the children.

I

Icedreamer

Because I had to go on state asistance for a few months when we first separated, he was ordered to pay child support then, however I have never recieved anything and have let it go since I don't really need it.

H

hexeliebe

Unless you get his permission, the State Department is not going to issue a passport. Not unless you return to court and get a Judge to issue a move-away amendment to the visitation order.

You do have one right?

Also, if you try to do anything but the above, your passports will be blocked (flagged) and you could face a long time in Federal Prison. Don't play with this.

You need the assistance of a good Family Law attorney.

I

Icedreamer

There was never a visitation order of any kind. When I had to go to court for child support, my ex didn't bother to show up until after the fact. The judge told me then that support and visitation are two different issues, and that if my ex wanted to request it that it would be up to him to take me to court. He never has.

H

hexeliebe

Then you need to speak with an attorney now. The State Department isn't budging on this issue and will only issue the passports with the court's permission.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">