• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out of Country Travel??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
My ex husband and I have joint legal custody of our 16 yr. old son..
My ex is planning a Memorial Day cruise to Mexico and taking our son along. I was all in favor of the trip "until" this stupid Swine Flu issue popped up. Now all the health agencies are advising that no one should be traveling down to Mexico unless it's absolutely necessary until this "pandemic" is over.
I know if I mention this to my ex he will think I'm over reacting, but I'm just a concerned mom (we always worry).
Is there anything I can do to prevent him from going out of the country with our son ? Is there a law or clause in most divorce papers?
Just wondering.... I have no problem with the traveling, just Mexico right now with the health scare.

Thank you,
Debbie :(

Just Blue

My ex is planning a Memorial Day cruise to Mexico and taking our son along. I was all in favor of the trip "until" this stupid Swine Flu issue popped up. Now all the health agencies are advising that no one should be traveling down to Mexico unless it's absolutely necessary until this "pandemic" is over.
I know if I mention this to my ex he will think I'm over reacting, but I'm just a concerned mom (we always worry).
Is there anything I can do to prevent him from going out of the country with our son ? Is there a law or clause in most divorce papers?
Just wondering.... I have no problem with the traveling, just Mexico right now with the health scare.

Thank you,

Considering 100 people have died, I don't think you are "over reacting"...

I would talk to the ex and tell him that you don't want Jr. there. You can flag the passport if ex is insistent.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Considering 100 people have died, I don't think you are "over reacting"...

I would talk to the ex and tell him that you don't want Jr. there. You can flag the passport if ex is insistent.

Actually I don't think SHE can flag the passport. Here is the other thing -- if the pandemic is still going on I highly doubt the cruise ships will be going to Mexico at that point. They will probably reroute due to the fact that they are not going to want the liability. Hopefully dad has trip insurance purchased. She can also try to go to court regarding it.

profmum

Thank you,
Now arguably the flu may be contained by Memorial Day. But right now there is a serious epidemic there and you have a right to be concerned. I would talk to your ex about cancelling the trip in the event the travel restrictions are still in place and if he does not agree ask the courts to do so.

LdiJ

Now arguably the flu may be contained by Memorial Day. But right now there is a serious epidemic there and you have a right to be concerned. I would talk to your ex about cancelling the trip in the event the travel restrictions are still in place and if he does not agree ask the courts to do so.
Its been all over the news in the last couple of hours about recommending no non-essential travel to Mexico.

I am a little nervous because they just found a case in my city...sigh...and it was a teenager back from a school trip to Mexico. Most of the cases in the US so far seem to be teenagers back from Mexico trips, and people that came in contact with them.

:( I WISH talking to my ex would be helpful. Unfortunately, no matter how "well intended" I may be he takes it as a "you are not going to tell me what to do issue". I was wondering what step or steps would I have to take to get the courts help? I just want him to postpone until this health issue passes.Don;t normal divorce papers have anything in them about traveling out of the country without both parents consent?
Thanks, Debbie

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Its been all over the news in the last couple of hours about recommending no non-essential travel to Mexico.

I am a little nervous because they just found a case in my city...sigh...and it was a teenager back from a school trip to Mexico. Most of the cases in the US so far seem to be teenagers back from Mexico trips, and people that came in contact with them.
There is a kindergartener in Ohio with it. Who came back from Mexico.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
:( I WISH talking to my ex would be helpful. Unfortunately, no matter how "well intended" I may be he takes it as a "you are not going to tell me what to do issue". I was wondering what step or steps would I have to take to get the courts help? I just want him to postpone until this health issue passes.Don;t normal divorce papers have anything in them about traveling out of the country without both parents consent?
Thanks, Debbie
You would need to file a motion asking the courts to prohibit him from traveling to Mexico and taking the cruise at this time. He might not be able to get out of the country without your consent but he also MIGHT be able to slip through. I don't know about normal divorce papers but every custody plan I have written deals with the issue.

wileybunch

The U.S. is getting the shaft, too:

"The top EU health official urged Europeans on Monday to postpone nonessential travel to parts of the United States and Mexico because of the swine flu virus, and Spanish health officials confirmed the first case outside North America."

Swine flu prompts EU warning on travel to U.S. - Swine flu- msnbc.com

janM

I thought I heard tonight that several cruise lines are cancelling cruises that are in/out of Mexico. Dad may not have any choice. Do you know the cruise line, and can you ask if they are cancelling?

profmum

I thought I heard tonight that several cruise lines are cancelling cruises that are in/out of Mexico. Dad may not have any choice. Do you know the cruise line, and can you ask if they are cancelling?
That may be a great option, one that could avoid going to court!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">