• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out-of-State Non-Custodial Parent Drop-off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zsway33

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I currently live in Georgia. My fiance has custody of his two children, who are 4 and 6 years old. His ex-wife has visitation rights, every other weekend and 4 weeks in the summer (only 2 consecutive weeks at a time). This year however, she told us that she has no more vacation time available and wished to take the kids to Florida to stay with her mother for a week. We do not agree with this, the place they will be staying is 10 hours away from us, and 7 hrs from their mothers house. Also, the kids are so young, I dont think they should be left without their parents that young. If something were to happen, we are too far away to help. Also, the kids grandmother lives with her new boyfriend, which we have never met. I dont feel comfortable with the kids staying with someone I dont know. We have asked the kids mother to tell the grandmother to come to GA and visit the kids at her house, so atleast she will be there. But she just keeps saying; "No, their grandmother has the right to see them too".

We dont see why the kids grandmother cannot drive up, if she has vacation time available. The truth is what we believe is going to happen, is the kids are going to go down to FL and their grandmother is going to have to work and will pay for a babysitter or daycare while she is at work. Is there anything we could do? We dont mind their grandmother seeing them, as long as their mom is with them too, wether it be in FL or in GA.

Last edited:

Just Blue

I currently live in Georgia. My fiance has custody of his two children, who are 4 and 6 years old. His ex-wife has visitation rights, every other weekend and 4 weeks in the summer (only 2 consecutive weeks at a time). This year however, she told us that she has no more vacation time available and wished to take the kids to Florida to stay with her mother for a week. We do not agree with this, the place they will be staying is 10 hours away from us, and 7 hrs from their mothers house. Also, the kids are so young, I dont think they should be left without their parents that young. If something were to happen, we are too far away to help. Also, the kids grandmother lives with her new boyfriend, which we have never met. I dont feel comfortable with the kids staying with someone I dont know. We have asked the kids mother to tell the grandmother to come to GA and visit the kids at her house, so atleast she will be there. But she just keeps saying; "No, their grandmother has the right to see them too".

We dont see why the kids grandmother cannot drive up, if she has vacation time available. The truth is what we believe is going to happen, is the kids are going to go down to FL and their grandmother is going to have to work and will pay for a babysitter or daycare while she is at work. Is there anything we could do? We dont mind their grandmother seeing them, as long as their mom is with them too, wether it be in FL or in GA.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/child-custody-visitation-37/newbies-please-read-before-posting-387214.html

Read the above thread and edit your post accordingly. Better yet...Have the actual PARTY to the custody situation post for himself, as you are LEGALLY a stranger to ALL court actions.

Thank you!!:)

LdiJ

What mom does with her vacation time is completely her business. She does not need your fiance's permission at all to allow the children to spend a week of her visitation with the grandparents. She absolutely does not need YOUR permission for anything.

You need to be very very careful on the "we" and "our" when dealing with/speaking about your fiance's children. Parents have lost custody over their significant others overstepping.

In this instance BOTH you and dad are seriously overstepping. This is mom's business and mom's business only...and mom's decision and mom's decision only.

RRevak

Well it doesnt matter what YOU think as these are not YOUR children now are they. The mother has every legal right to do whatever she likes with HER children when they are in her care and on HER time even if dad doesnt necessarily approve.
Future advice; NOTHING makes a mom angrier than an overstepping girlfriend/fiance/wife...trust me. You should keep your opinions about children that arent your own to yourself.

GinAA

First, I agree with the others. You must step back. No matter how much you love your SKs these issues are not yours. Be supportive, be an ear to bend, shoulder to cry on but you just have to stay out of it. I'm a SM too and it's hard, sooo hard, to stay out of things when it involves children but you just must.

2nd....their father may know more to this story than you do so he really needs to post here so questions can be asked and possible solutions can come about.

sometwo

He chose her as mom , he agreed with her being a mother and being the parent of his children. She has equal rights to allow her children to spend time with other people just as he does.

You have no right to interfere with that and it doesn't matter what "you" want or think. Remove "we"

Unless a court order states otherwise (and you haven't given any reason to hint towards that) she is free to exercise her parenting time how she chooses.

Just for thought: How many times are kids sent to grandma's house for summer (I lived with grandma and my sisters and cousins spent many summers with us). How many times do relatives visit other family members for extended times during summer. (I just had my nephew who is 3 from another state here. He LOVED it and keeps begging him mom to let him come back to Aunt "sometwo's" house) . How many kids go off to camps, vacations etc without one parent or the other.

May kids enjoy and love these experiences. Its great to have family that are free to take the kids so they can spend time with extended family. That's one of the great things about extended family and /or friends. I plan on continuing to get my nephew for many many years to come during the summer. As long as I'm at home. I told my husband that the other day and said we're building memories for these kids. Not only ours but our nieces and nephews (I had my other nephew too) Plus I'm sure mom doesn't know everything about every single person he leaves the kids with (hint : you) . Your not even "family" yet and your complaining?

Back off and leave it be

ETA: Oh and by the way, be glad mom told dad about it. She could have just kept it to herself then he wouldn't have know until after the fact.

Last edited:

dannyt

Myob

i have two words for you-BUTT OUT. not your kids not your business. you have NO SAY in this or any other matter concerning the kids. you are not their mother.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
i have two words for you-BUTT OUT. not your kids not your business. you have NO SAY in this or any other matter concerning the kids. you are not their mother.
Yo Danny! Your Mommy just called and it's your nap time. Best get your nappy changed beforehand, eh?

sometwo

No there is nothing "we" can do . As it should be. I see you edited your post but forget to remove the we's.

dannyt

not the least bit tired

Yo Danny! Your Mommy just called and it's your nap time. Best get your nappy changed beforehand, eh?
stomps feet IM NOT TIRED! im going roller skating tonight to celebrate the end of school.:D come sept ill be a hs junior!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
stomps feet IM NOT TIRED! im going roller skating tonight to celebrate the end of school.:D come sept ill be a hs junior!
And that is exactly why you need to FOCUS.

Now go nap. Little boys who throw tantrums don't get to go out and play.

dannyt

i dont snore

And that is exactly why you need to FOCUS.

Now go nap. Little boys who throw tantrums don't get to go out and play.
if i have to hear about micheal and adam complain that i snore( which is completely untrue btw) im gonna throw them in the hudson river

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">