• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out of State Parent wanting to be involved in Child's education

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lightasafeather

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OK

My child just started Kindergarten and all I know about his school is what his mother chooses to reply back to me. Her and I have no court agreement but I am wondering if we did go to court is there a way for them to block me from reaching out to his school?
Also am I allowed to contact his school now and introduce myself and let them know I would like updates etc.? just not sure what my options are being out of state, but I would love to get his grades, reports and such. I also would love to make an appearance if he wanted me to (i know he would absolutely love it if I surprised him.)

any info is appreciated
thanks

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OK

My child just started Kindergarten and all I know about his school is what his mother chooses to reply back to me. Her and I have no court agreement but I am wondering if we did go to court is there a way for them to block me from reaching out to his school?
Technically yes - but it only applies in extreme circumstances. I see no reason at all why you can't have joint legal custody (which would cement things). Even if you don't have custody though, the school cannot withhold the information.

Standby - OhioGAL will hopefully respond and she can go into details for you.

Also am I allowed to contact his school now and introduce myself and let them know I would like updates etc.? just not sure what my options are being out of state, but I would love to get his grades, reports and such.
I see nothing wrong with you doing that, either.

I also would love to make an appearance if he wanted me to (i know he would absolutely love it if I surprised him.)

any info is appreciated
thanks
Unless there is an order specifically restraining you from the school or the information you seek, THAT wouldn't be.. legally wrong, either. But you might want to balance the benefits of surprise visitation against how Mom will feel.

I realize it's not her place to dictate, but if she's already prepared to fight, forcing the issue can backfire.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Are you on the birth certificate? If paternity has not been established in some way, shape or form, you won't get the information until you establish paternity. Even without custody you are most likely entitled to do a lot of things PROVIDED you can prove you are the father. In what state will the child be living?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
OP - per your previous posts, you are not established as Dad. So, no - the school does not have to provide you with any information OR allow you to visit the child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">