• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

out of state teenager wants to come home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

becka

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? missouri
my 15 year old son moved to another state with my ex. Now he hates it and wants to come home. The ex has primary custody but has violated our divorce agreement by not giving me a physical address or phone #. Niether of us pay support to the other. If my son leaves and shows up on my porch, will authorities take him back to his dad or will he be able to reside with me till we go to court for custody modification?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? missouri
my 15 year old son moved to another state with my ex. Now he hates it and wants to come home. The ex has primary custody but has violated our divorce agreement by not giving me a physical address or phone #. Niether of us pay support to the other. If my son leaves and shows up on my porch, will authorities take him back to his dad or will he be able to reside with me till we go to court for custody modification?
If your son shows up on your porch, and you don't immediately contact dad and return the child to dad, then you could be facing all kinds of problems. That is absolutely the wrong way to handle things. The only exception to that would be if dad absconded with the child without notice (which could be possible if you don't have contact information).

Get a consult with a local attorney about the best way to handle things.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If your son shows up on your porch, and you don't immediately contact dad and return the child to dad, then you could be facing all kinds of problems. That is absolutely the wrong way to handle things. The only exception to that would be if dad absconded with the child without notice (which could be possible if you don't have contact information).

Get a consult with a local attorney about the best way to handle things.
She knows where the child is and that the child is unhappy. WHy doesn't she have contact information if the TEENAGER is in contact with her? He can't give her his address and phone number? She is asking for trouble if she encourages and consents to junior running away from home.

mommyof4

She knows where the child is and that the child is unhappy. WHy doesn't she have contact information if the TEENAGER is in contact with her? He can't give her his address and phone number? She is asking for trouble if she encourages and consents to junior running away from home.

She doesn't want to put Junior in the middle, of course. Isn't that what we always tell everybody? Leave the kids out of it.:eek::p

Besides, if she has that information, her whole justification for keeping said Junior flies out the window. Sooo....obviously, it's better to just not ask.;)

wileybunch

Besides, if she has that information, her whole justification for keeping said Junior flies out the window. Sooo....obviously, it's better to just not ask.;)
Unfortunately it seems like something like this. I remember after our divorce and I was paying my long-distance exH a settlement, he gave me crap that I had moved without notifying him of the new address (the move was to a house within eyesight - around the corner from a leased house to a house I bought) which sounded good on paper, but since I sent him a check every month and the address was on that, let's get real.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Oh and I just want to add that the out-of-state teenager IS home with his father. The child has two homes and he is already at one of them.

CourtClerk

How long has sonny boy and dad been gone, missing, with no address and phone number, which violated the terms of your divorce decree?

Have the courthouses been closed since that day? Did you forget how to get there?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">