• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overnight guests

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

spiderhead

In the state of Tennessee, is it possible to request that the custodial parent have no overnight guests unless they're married to that person ONCE A DIVORCE IS FINAL? I can see where this would make sense if it can be proven beyond reasonable doubt that the live-in is a threat to the child's well-being, but if nothing can be proven (and certainly if no real danger exists), how can this be mandated in court? Also, I realize that it's possible to ask for anything in your petition, but how often are the rulings in favor of something like this? I have a meeting with a lawyer next week, but I'd like to know more about what's going on in the meantime. For more background info, please see my post below titled "Cohabiting and Custody".
Thanks!

S

spiderhead

I should also point out that I have seen my soon-to-be-ex in public with another woman. He was involved with her before we started dating, and it's a well-known fact that he's always kind of had an interest in her. I wouldn't dare bring this up in court, as it would look too much like a character assasination. I'm only pointing this out because he's making it look like I'm the only one who has started a relationship since our separation in March. I have no reason to believe that this woman - whether he's seriously involved with her or not - would cause harm to my child. This is, after all, who this is about. Not revenge. Our daughter's well-being.
Thanks.

Ambr

if you can show that your ex had a previous history, or a current history, of bringing children in and out of the life of the child.

it isn't stable to bring live ins in and out. the children start to adapt to an extended family unit and then it changes again. it can create a sense of abandonment. dad left, this boyfriend left, this boyfriend left. it doesn't leave the child "secure" in his surrounds.

just from previous posts that i have read, a live in clause is mentioned about 60/40 (not/yes).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">