• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overnight Stay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

susieq

What is the name of your state? TX
Can a father have his child for visitation overnight at the age of 8 months? someone told him that he could not have him overnight until the age of 3

A

annefan1000

Depends. Ponder these:

Can a father have his 8 month old child for an overnight visit if the mother is hospitalized or dies?

Can a father have his 8 month old child for an overnight if the mother is breastfeeding?

usmcfamily

A father can have his child for an overnight stay when the court order says he can -- the age will vary a lot because individual cases are all so different.........

B

buzz2400

My son was a year old when I got divorced and I fought that overnights would not start until he was 2. His father gave up the fight.

V

vindictive X

My husband fought for his 11 month old daughter to spend the night, it was denied due to breastfeeding. But during the day we could have her and give her formula (o well that was then. )

He didn't get granted over night visitations until she was 1 1/2

N

njmom

Just my opinion.............

My son was six months when my ex and I split. We came to agreements with custody/visitation/child support, with a mediator. I was also breast-feeding our son, but I had no problems with dad having him because after all I decided to sleep with him, get pregnant and have a child with him. He started getting overnight visitation immediately, although he knew it would bother me, since my son and I were still at that um, "bonding" period, he decided he would wait a while. You can always buy one of those pumps and pump the milk so the child can still get the breast milk. I don't think that the mother should fight it, simply because in most cases the father will be awarded overnight visitation in the long run, so why put up a fight, start out early so the child can bond with the daddy as well. After all, he was good enough to help conceive the child!! Again, just my opinion. Good Luck Susieq!

usmcfamily

I have to agree with NJMom -- and I have been there too.
In the long run you are actually making things EASIER on the child (and that should be the focus anyway in my opinion.....not what makes mom OR dad feel better but what is good for the child!) because it will give even more opportunity for bonding time between father and child and will make it easier for the child's longterm visitation since there will already be an established bond instead of suddenly at 3 or 4 years old (when the child will KNOW that it is new and strange and "scary") sending them off to dad's house for the night........
jmo though

A

annefan1000

I agree, njmom and usmcfamily. That's why I posed the questions to ponder.

S

stepmommy26

I totally agree with njmom, let the child bond with his father at an early age. A child needs to bond with both parents.

V

vindictive X

I agree as well and since my husbands x was doing this just to keep the child and father from bonding it made us even more mad. He bought her a pump and she refused to use it but didn't return it. And since she had breast fed the 1st child now 5 until she was well over 2 we were concerned, but the judge ruled in our favor.

Be strong and stand for what you believe in!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">