• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

overnight stays

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chapel123

What is the name of your state? Texas

I have a son just under a year and am about to file for divorce. My soon to be ex husband has two very debilitating medical conditions. They are both chronic, but very treatable...if you follow your doctors instructions and take the medications, which he won't. Because of this there have been many trips to the emergency room as well as seizures and fainting. I was a child of divorce and my mother did herself no favors by keeping me from my father and I won't do that to my son, but it scares me to think of our son alone with his father for an overnight visit and he have a seizure ect. One of his conditions weakens his body so that my husband can't even pick our son up. Can I request that overnight visits include my mother-in-law until my son is older and not so vunerable?

BelizeBreeze

chapel123 said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

I have a son just under a year and am about to file for divorce. My soon to be ex husband has two very debilitating medical conditions. They are both chronic, but very treatable...if you follow your doctors instructions and take the medications, which he won't. Because of this there have been many trips to the emergency room as well as seizures and fainting. I was a child of divorce and my mother did herself no favors by keeping me from my father and I won't do that to my son, but it scares me to think of our son alone with his father for an overnight visit and he have a seizure ect. One of his conditions weakens his body so that my husband can't even pick our son up. Can I request that overnight visits include my mother-in-law until my son is older and not so vunerable?
you can request anything you want, but don't expect to get it if your soon to be ex can show that you've left the child with him for any amount of time alone.

CJane

If dad's condition is such that he cannot lift the child, and may have a seizure/pass out... wouldn't the child in fact be SAFER on an overnight visit (when he's likely to be sleeping and requiring nearly no care) than on a day visit when he's up and active?

chapel123

It is sad to say that my husband has never spent more than and hour or so alone, at one time, with our son since he was born. If I am gone longer than that I hire a sitter to be there as well. I have had to beg him to give our son a bottle over the phone when I was stuck in traffic, which he refused to do, and told me I had just better hurry home. I have an appointment scheduled with an attorney and all I can do is ask.

chapel123

Actually the medical condition of that prevents my husband from picking him up doesn't bother me so much. You can change a diaper on the floor, sleep on the floor and feed him on the floor. What scares me is when my husband has him outside in the front yard and he passes out, hits his head and my son is out there with him on a blanket crawling around and I don't realize it until I go and check on them. That scares me and it is this one issue that has prevented me from leaving sooner.

CJane

chapel123 said:
Actually the medical condition of that prevents my husband from picking him up doesn't bother me so much. You can change a diaper on the floor, sleep on the floor and feed him on the floor. What scares me is when my husband has him outside in the front yard and he passes out, hits his head and my son is out there with him on a blanket crawling around and I don't realize it until I go and check on them. That scares me and it is this one issue that has prevented me from leaving sooner.
That was sort of my point. The child would be safer on OVERNIGHT visits than regular day visits... yet you want him to be supervised on overnight visits.

People with seizure disorders manage to parent every day without supervision. Your chances of proving that dad is incapable of caring for the child are slim.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">