• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pa

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lbourquin

My spouse and I have raised her grandaughter and her son since the day her son was born, she was 13 when he was born,she has since turned 18 and moved out, and is currently restricting our visitation rights of her son who is now 4.What are our options

penelope10

My spouse and I have raised her grandaughter and her son since the day her son was born, she was 13 when he was born,she has since turned 18 and moved out, and is currently restricting our visitation rights of her son who is now 4.What are our options
I take it that you guys never had legal guardianship established by the court?

penelope10

And OMG....she was 13???? Where is the father and how old was he at the time of impregnation?
A better question might be, OMG we're still up. What the heck are we doing?:eek:

And my other question is was he jailed for impregnating your daughter? And why five years later has the daughter decided to remove the kiddos from your care?

mommyof4

A better question might be, OMG we're still up. What the heck are we doing?:eek:

And my other question is was he jailed for impregnating your daughter? And why five years later has the daughter decided to remove the kiddos from your care?
Husband's in Ohio. I can't sleep.:(

happybug

And why five years later has the daughter decided to remove the kiddos from your care?

I don't think the Daughter removed the Grandchild from their care. I think the daughter has moved out WITH her child. The daughter IS an adult now and free to move out of her parent's home. Since she is also the MOTHER of the child, she is free to take HER child with her.

In PA, visitation is possible, especially as the child lived in your home so long. However, if you don't win you will never see either of them again. If you do win, your Daughter will hate you for the rest of her life. The Seniors will give you legal advice. I think you should leave her alone for a bit. Your Daughter just moved out of your home. Give her some time to adjust to living on her own. I think she will come around. When you approach her. Approach her adult to adult and not as her Mom.

happybug

I just re-read this. Are you saying you are looking for Great-Grandparent visitation? Granddaughter and HER SON moved in with you? You won't get visitation to your Granddaughter as she is an adult. Definitely wait for the Seniors on this. Great-Grandparent visitation is a whole different ball game. If there is ANY standing at all, you wife will be the only one who MIGHT have any. You have no relation to either of them and will not have standing in this case.

penelope10

And why five years later has the daughter decided to remove the kiddos from your care?

I don't think the Daughter removed the Grandchild from their care. I think the daughter has moved out WITH her child. The daughter IS an adult now and free to move out of her parent's home. Since she is also the MOTHER of the child, she is free to take HER child with her.

In PA, visitation is possible, especially as the child lived in your home so long. However, if you don't win you will never see either of them again. If you do win, your Daughter will hate you for the rest of her life. The Seniors will give you legal advice. I think you should leave her alone for a bit. Your Daughter just moved out of your home. Give her some time to adjust to living on her own. I think she will come around. When you approach her. Approach her adult to adult and not as her Mom.
LOL, you're right and it's late. Too late for this old lady. Misread and thought the daughter was already out of the house and then came back and took the child. Signing off now.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

OP is the step-grandparent actually. As such he has NO standing to sue for anything.

LdiJ

I am basically reiterating what you have already been told, but please, for your sake and the sake of the child, back off on the idea of legal "rights".

You don't have any rights at all. You are a legal stranger. Your wife probably has standing to sue for visitation rights, but if she does so, she will alienate her granddaughter for life, and if she loses, she won't see either of them again.

Give it time. Accept the fact that you are not the parents of the 4 year old, and treat your granddaughter with the same type of respect you would have wanted your parents to treat you with.

nextwife

And my other question is was he jailed for impregnating your daughter?
How do you know he wasn't also 13?

penelope10

How do you know he wasn't also 13?
LOL! That's why it was asked in an earlier post about the age of the Baby Daddy.

And this may not be the case of Baby Daddy at all if Dad went to court and was found to be the legal father of the child.

So there are lots of questions that haven't been answered yet.;)

happybug

" and is currently restricting our visitation rights of her son who is now 4 "

I would also like to know what you mean by restricting our rights. Does she allow you to see the child at all? If your wife were to take her to court and win, you might get one day a month. She will not get an EOW parenting plan as she is not the parent. If you spend more that one day a month with them, count yourselves lucky.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">