• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PA Custody/Paternal rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mosesmom

What is the name of your state? PA

My boyfriend's son got his girlfriend pregnant. She is 5 months along. They originally planned to be married in July but now he is having second thoughts. He wants to postpone the wedding until the two of them are more settled in their lives. They both just lost their jobs, he is working on getting his driving license restored, etc. She refuses to postpone the wedding, saying that if he doesn't marry her next month then she will never marry him. She threatens to keep the baby from him as well, saying that she will raise the baby with help from her mother. She also said she will not give the baby his last name.

Obviously, this is too much pressure and stress to deal with right now and not the way to start a marriage! He wants to wait until they can sort out their problems and have a stable life before committing to marriage. They currently share an apartment together. He has a jail record, and both have been addicted to drugs but are currently clean (she does not have a record). Their ages are 24 (him) and 20 (her).

What rights does my boyfriend's son have at this point? I'd like to be able to tell him the FACTS of his situation, so he can make his decisions with a clear head and not because of idle threats from his girlfriend.

Thank you.

annefan

Before anything, paternity must be established. This would be done after the child is born. Once paternity is established and if your son is found to be the father, he can petition the court for primary physical custody or partial physical custody (also known as visitation rights) whichever he feels led to pursue.

In either event, both parties usually acquire joint (or shared) LEGAL custody, which is different than physical custody.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">