• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PA mother passed away, I want my son to live with me in FLA.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TerryT

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state?
florida (father), pennsylvania (son and deceased mother)

i am the father (living in fla) of a 12 yr old boy (living in pa).
his mother (we never married) recently passed away (@ 10 days ago, 6/1/02).

i want to obtain legal custody of him and move him to fla as soon as possible.

his mother and I had verbal arrangements only. there are no custody, support and/or visitation documents of any kind filed in either state (except for his birth certificate on file in the broward county courthouse in ft lauderdale, fla).

my son wants to live with me.

what are my rights and how do I go about obtaining legal custody?
M.T.

BTW: she was not married at the time of her death.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

TerryT said:
What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state?
florida (father), pennsylvania (son and deceased mother)

i am the father (living in fla) of a 12 yr old boy (living in pa).
his mother (we never married) recently passed away (@ 10 days ago, 6/1/02).

i want to obtain legal custody of him and move him to fla as soon as possible.

his mother and I had verbal arrangements only. there are no custody, support and/or visitation documents of any kind filed in either state (except for his birth certificate on file in the broward county courthouse in ft lauderdale, fla).

my son wants to live with me.

what are my rights and how do I go about obtaining legal custody?
M.T.

BTW: she was not married at the time of her death.
My response:

Simple. You are the child's parent. You go get your child. You don't need "permission" from anyone or any legal tribunal. Your rights are ironclad and the U.S. Supreme Court is behind you; that is, your "rights" are automatic.

Bring the child's birth certificate with you just in case any police authority is called to stop you. If any other family member gets in your way, then you go to court and make sure you ask for monetary damages for their interference with your parent/child relationship. That will get them to "cut loose."

Go get your child.

IAAL

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">