• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parent not following the parenting plan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mumstheword09

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

Hi my ex and I currently have a parenting plan in place. My ex files motion after motion doing anything possible to interfear with my parenting time with my daughter. I filled a motion for contempt of court, the hearing is 15 days away. Im supposed to pick up my daughter this Saturday, my ex is saying she is filing an "emergency order" to again interfere with the order until we go to court. I will be out of town so even if she tries to serve me I wont be here to get it. My daughter lives 4 hours away, should I still drive over and try to pick her up? I want to, Im so tired of this, I want time with my daughter, it would be an 8 hour round trip and Im worried i wont even get to have my week with her.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

Hi my ex and I currently have a parenting plan in place. My ex files motion after motion doing anything possible to interfear with my parenting time with my daughter. I filled a motion for contempt of court, the hearing is 15 days away. Im supposed to pick up my daughter this Saturday, my ex is saying she is filing an "emergency order" to again interfere with the order until we go to court. I will be out of town so even if she tries to serve me I wont be here to get it. My daughter lives 4 hours away, should I still drive over and try to pick her up? I want to, Im so tired of this, I want time with my daughter, it would be an 8 hour round trip and Im worried i wont even get to have my week with her.
What do your current orders say?

ecmst12

If you don't attempt to pick her up, then you can't say she withheld visitation. You need to drive out there and attempt to pick up. If you are refused, you need to take a copy of your order to the local police station. They may not intervene but tell them you want to file a report to document the incident. Also, go to a store near their house and buy something using your credit or debit card. This is proof that you upheld your end of the bargain by showing up at the appointed time and place for the exchange and your ex did not comply with the order.

wileybunch

Unless she files an emergency order that is GRANTED to restrict your visitation time so that an order that allows you to pick up your child this weekend is superseded by the new temp order, she cannot legally block your visit. Filing an emergency order does not equal having it granted. Do what previous poster recommended to try to exercise your court-ordered parenting time this weekend.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">