• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parent wants to give up parental rights and allow me to adopt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Va

Long story short C.O. out of the state of md, gave my husband and his ex (who moved to PA right after the C.O. was changed) joint custody with my husband having physical custody. Everything had been thru the MD courts, since that is where the divorce and child custody, etc was done. Now 14 year old lives in Va with us and has for the last 6 months.

This week, which her mother was supposed to have her daughter for 3 weeks, she never wanted to meet up and get her, now today she has called my hubby and told him she wants to "divorce" her daughter? Doesn't want anything to do with her etc... She told my husband that she would be happy to allow me to adopt her daughter. I've been her stepmom since she was 2 1/2 years old..

Does anyone know where I can find out more about how we could do this without too much attorney involvement and what rights she would have if she truly went thru with this? Would she still be responsible to pay child support ? Would she still be able to see her daughter? What rights would I have by adopting her? Which state would it go thru Maryland, PA or Va where daughter resides with us?

Thank you for your time and advice in advance....

Just Blue

If she were to give up her rights so that you could adopt, she would have no rights or obligations with this child and you would have all the rights and obligation ANY PARENT would have.

Gracie3787

If she were to give up her rights so that you could adopt, she would have no rights or obligations with this child and you would have all the rights and obligation ANY PARENT would have.
Oh boy, is this deja vu? Wasn't there a poster in another thread, a man I believe, asking the same thing because his son would have health insurance? Or am I getting too tired?

Oh boy, is this deja vu? Wasn't there a poster in another thread, a man I believe, asking the same thing because his son would have health insurance? Or am I getting too tired?
I'm sorry i did not see that one...I apologize if this is a repeat, this is NOT about health insurance though....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">