• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parental Alienation Syndrome

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

desperatetosee

What is the name of your state? SC

Does anyone know anything about PAS (Parental Alienation Syndrome). I was looking up the laws in regards to the rights of Step Parents, and I found this syndrome outlined in something I was reading. Upon reading the criteria that is looked for to determine this syndrome, this fits my Ex husbands new wife to a "T"!! How hard is this to prove?! My daughter who has always been a loving, easy going child has started to have bad mood swings, emotional outbursts, and began scratching herself behind her ears until she bleeds. I fear that this is because of the environment that she is in! Does anyone have any information about this syndrome!?!?!?

T

titansfan

stepparents have no rights

stepparents have NO legal rights to their stepchild/ren whatsoever.what exactly is stepmom doing?

desperatetosee

She denies me the right to call the house, when I do try to make visitation she agrees then when it comes closer to the time she makes excuses...she tells me that my daughter does not want to see me! She tells me that I am inferior to her, and that she gives my daughter everything. She tells me that when my visits with my daughter are over my daughter has an emotional breakdown and needs time to "adjust" before I can visit her anymore...Basically, she does anything she can to keep me from seeing her.

Zephyr

the keeping you from your daughter could be alienation- which is why you need to get into court as previously advised and get some set parenting time.

what she says to you is just her being a controlling b1tch....

T

titansfan

tell stepmom to **** off and mind her own business

tell her if its your time with your daughter, you are going to see her, and theres not a damm thing she can do about it. her husband is in real danger of losing custody if she keeps this up, she is not a party to the visitation, has no say in the visitation, and should butt the hell out when your daughter is concerned. its time this meddling witch is put in her place

desperatetosee

I agree with you completely!! That is why I am trying to arm myself with as much legal no how as possible being as I cannot afford a lawyer! She wants me to pay child support every month, which I glady do but doesn't want me around..She's apparently off her rocker

L

legalcuriosity

desperatetosee said:
I agree with you completely!! That is why I am trying to arm myself with as much legal no how as possible being as I cannot afford a lawyer! She wants me to pay child support every month, which I glady do but doesn't want me around..She's apparently off her rocker
She can't have her cake and eat it, too. If she is interfering, you need to file contempt charges. Make sure you really do research and know your stuff about PAS because I've read many Judges and Magistrates are clueless on that. It would be advised to let a lawyer handle that if you are going to think about going that route. It's not a simple one.

desperatetosee

Thank you for the advice regarding PAS. I figured it would be a hard one to prove, but there are documented incidents of where she began acting out, and has made comments to her school mates such as "I come from a blended family, I have a birthy mommy but my real mommy is my daddy's new wife". Which clearly a five year old cannot come up with herself. I am going to request a GAL be appointed, and that she possibly be evaluated by a child psychologist? Do you think that is a good route?! I do not want my daugther to be subjected to too much, but at the same time it is up to me to look out for her best interest, seeing her dad is not doing a very good job of it!

Zephyr

titansfan said:
tell her if its your time with your daughter, you are going to see her, and theres not a damm thing she can do about it. her husband is in real danger of losing custody if she keeps this up, she is not a party to the visitation, has no say in the visitation, and should butt the hell out when your daughter is concerned. its time this meddling witch is put in her place

dah titan- this mom doesn't have any authorized actual time with the child, so as long as dad is letting sm call the shots, than yeah sm can do anything she wants about it, that is why OP is advised AGAIN to get this into court and establish set parenting time- that will take away most of sm's power.

the only advise you ever give titan is "tell her" "tell him" being bitchy to someone on the phone is not going to fix this problem.

OP once you have orders stating when you can see your child and how often you can speak on the phone, much of this will go away because DAD can get into hot water for not following the order, even if it'ssm pulling the strings

Shay-Pari'e

WANNACRY said:
dah titan- this mom doesn't have any authorized actual time with the child, so as long as dad is letting sm call the shots, than yeah sm can do anything she wants about it, that is why OP is advised AGAIN to get this into court and establish set parenting time- that will take away most of sm's power.

the only advise you ever give titan is "tell her" "tell him" being bitchy to someone on the phone is not going to fix this problem.

OP once you have orders stating when you can see your child and how often you can speak on the phone, much of this will go away because DAD can get into hot water for not following the order, even if it'ssm pulling the strings

Did you think Kelly was going to say anything else? ;)

snostar

desperatetosee said:
I am going to request a GAL be appointed, and that she possibly be evaluated by a child psychologist? Do you think that is a good route?!
Absolutely. Forensic evaluations can be costly and it would be up to the evaluator whether or not to included the stepmom, but it definitely happens. PAS was a huge factor in my case, and the GAL and Forensic psychologist were able to bring the issue to the front stage in my trial, far more than just the testimonies of my ex and I. You can find additional information by searching through www.deltabravo.net.

AL_RA_ZA

I've found a great deal of information on this sydrome on the late Dr. Richard A. Gardner's web site http://www.rgardner.com . The name of the organization is Creative Therapeutics. There is information on court cases where this has been proven. There is also information on "de-programming" your child, namely spending equal or greater time with you. I am a dad fighting the mom who has instilled severe alienation in my child.

Good luck

kathe70

Pal

undefined california I went through this with my exhusband and his wife,( Now his ex-wife). She was being rude to me when I would call and talk to my daughter and her dad. Not as severe as yours though. We wrote it in the custody papers that she cease and desist from this type of behavior. The judge approved it and the nasty behavior twards me stopped. Maybe she needs to see it in writing and on a legal document. Good Luck!!

desperatetosee

Thank you so much for all of your advice. I thought I was over exaggerating when I read the information on PAS and am glad to hear that I am not! Spending all the money in the world will be worth it if my daughter gets to grow up healthy and happy

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">