• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parental Alienation Syndrome (PAS)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

akcobra4u

What is the name of your state? AK

I believe there are many people that are familiar with the term, parental alienation syndrome (PAS) today compared to ten or five years ago. I would like to hear of your personal experiences, layman and professional, (anyone).

Just to get you started, I thought you should know, it is widely know that Richard A. Gardner M.D., was the founded of PAS. Read his definition:

“A disorder that arises primarily in the context of child-custody disputes. Its primary manifestation is the child's campaign of denigration against a parent, a campaign that has no justification. It results from the combination of a programming (brainwashing) parent's indoctrinations and the child's own contributions to the vilification of the target parent. When true parental abuse and/or neglect is present the child's animosity may be justified, and so the parental alienation syndrome explanation for the child's hostility is not applicable. Journal of Divorce & Remarriage, 1999, 30(1/2):1-9

There are many professional opinions out there. Most you can find on the web, but what about the people who actual consciously or unconsciously, experience PAS. Here are some brain starters:

1. Most important, please share your personal experiences?
2. What could be the elements to enact statues?
3. What could be the damaging effects?
4. Is this a state or federal issues?
5. Can it be study?
6. Is it a gender issues? Female or males balance.
7. Is it culture?
8. I would like to hear from those on both sides of PAS.

Will send a txt file full of definitions.

Look forward to your feedback.

BL

When true parental abuse and/or neglect is present the child's animosity may be justified, and so the parental alienation syndrome explanation for the child's hostility is not applicable.
[ quote ]

Sounds like a definition has a switch . If one cares to use it's application it's ok,but if they chose not to,that's ok too.

Everyday or so ,someone comes up with another " syndrome" , opens up a business ,and collects money on it.

In the court of law,animosity is not grounds for denial of visitations.

Orders can be added by the Judge,that State Neither party is to talk derogatorily about the other in front of the child(ren).

If they violate that order it is contempt of court . If it causes great Emotional harm to the child,contact can be ordered through a therapist , and/or parent can be required to fallow therapist recommendations.

Personally , I know a grandparent that had visitation,and it took quite a few filings of violations, to reduce them to contact w/ therapist,and the therapist wouldn't give granny the time of day .. end of story.

Personally,1/2 these therapist don't know diddly.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Unfortunately, PAS has become such a buzzword that it's used to describe every tiny infraction. And when you have a truly evil parent - everyone's so tired of hearing PAS that they shrug it off.

kat1963

We don't need a new title, we need new laws. ALL states need consider anti-brainwashing (as a form of child abuse) in both criminal AND civil court. How many of these parents do you think would play this game if they could be penalized for their actions? Instead, the family court system has made children become pawns in a game that carries rich emotional & financial rewards for the abuser.
Heck, at this point I'd just like to see the consequences for perjury enforced.
KAT

bubbly602

it seems to me

that there are so many people out there using this to get back at their exes that it's pretty much become a moot point. Unless there's some specific guidelines set for proof, I don't think it's going to do any good. And there's really no way to prove it, unless you can secretly tape your children screaming the things that one parent told the child about the other. Because there is so much arbitrary use of this, it seems as though those who have a legitimate complaint about this happening would be overlooked or ignored as another bitter person trying to get back at someone

L

Lil Miss Smarty Panties

My personal experience and opinion? No one takes PAS seriously except the parent who is being alienated. Counselors don't care, PAS isn't even in a medical book as a legit condition, affliction, disease, syndrome, whatever you want to label it as. The law doesn't care. It's not on the law books. The only thing judges do about it is order the parent and child to counseling. The cycle continues because counselors do nothing. What happens to the alienating parent? Nothing. What happens to the alienated parent? They lose their kid/s and get treated like garbage.

haiku

Hey lets hear it from the "other side of PAS"

I wanna hear from the Pro-PAS parents! YEAH!

:eek: just kidding........sigh

wenwas

so my ex who abused our son at the age of 2 and i got sole custody . can try to claim this syndrome and get visitation even though he is still an abusive jerk. Geez

haiku

wenwas said:
so my ex who abused our son at the age of 2 and i got sole custody . can try to claim this syndrome and get visitation even though he is still an abusive jerk. Geez
Wenwas...the definition of PAS is not applicable to your situation.

Last edited:

JETX

I'll pass on PAS.
This is obviously another 'ailment' in search of a cause. And another way for people to become 'victims' when they aren't.

For example, I am all for a some NEW syndromes:
"ABIF" (Abuse by Idiots on Forum).
and
"OMGTTIB" (Oh My God The Troll Is Back)
and
"POARWSI" (Pissed Off At Posts Without Source Information)
and
"DTISPYO" (Don't These Imaginary Syndromes Piss You Off)

If there are any qualified college failures (aka: Sociologists, Psycho Babblists, etc.) that want to help me make money on the above by making up some 'symptoms', let me know.

HomeGuru

JETX said:
I'll pass on PAS.
This is obviously another 'ailment' in search of a cause. And another way for people to become 'victims' when they aren't.

For example, I am all for a some NEW syndromes:
"ABIF" (Abuse by Idiots on Forum).
and
"OMGTTIB" (Oh My God The Troll Is Back)
and
"POARWSI" (Pissed Off At Posts Without Source Information)
and
"DTISPYO" (Don't These Imaginary Syndromes Piss You Off)

If there are any qualified college failures (aka: Sociologists, Psycho Babblists, etc.) that want to help me make money on the above by making up some 'symptoms', let me know.
**A: this is great. I am suffering from some symptoms as we speak, well, so to speak.

C

craftymom

Having been "the child" in a 'PAS' situation, I'll say this:

Does Alienation occur? Yes
Can it be vicious? Yes
Can it cause a child to be destructive? Yes
Does it affect them for the rest of their lives? Yes--but not necessarily as anything more than being a piece of their lives
Does it affect their parental relationships permanently? Yes--but not necessarily with only the alienated parent.

Is it a "syndrome"? Emphatic no

It's nothing but an incredibly selfish, insecure, narcisistic (sp?) parent. Terms which already exist to describe the alienating parent.

Do laws need to be changed to take alienation into account? Yes
Should the alienating tactics be punishable? Yes
Should they weigh heavily in changing custody? Yes--and should probably be the factor that gets the most weight.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">