• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parental Disinterest and Relocation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CJane

*****UPDATE******

We had a hearing mid-June, because ex filed a restraining order to prevent me from leaving the state with the kids. I was allowed to go, as long as the children and I returned by July 5. A GAL was appointed, and psych evals as well as therapy between ex and kids.

We returned and everything moved forward. Trial was supposed to be today, but we came to an agreement re: a temporary order yesterday, and we'll have a full trial in January.

So, the girls and I will leave Sunday to drive cross country with two dogs and three cats. My son will fly to WA with my husband. The girls will continue reunification therapy with their father via Skype, and return for a visit with him over Christmas break, with some restrictions in place. The oldest will be 18 by then, but will still be doing the visits and therapy. In January, we'll have a trial to hopefully achieve final disposition, and a more normalized visitation schedule.

It's been a long couple months. My husband and I have been married 4 months, and haven't ever lived together! But, we'll all be in our new home in WA by Tuesday.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
If I could like this a million time, to the moon and back (and back and back and back....), I would! Congrats to you all!

aardvarc

I can't get past his comment about his wife always coming first. That doesn't fly when one has minor children. Those minor children are the FIRST priority. Sucks to be a step parent sometimes, but the courts are generally very firm in this and most judges have ZERO trouble smacking the PROPER order into the heads of parents who don't understand. And, this is a wife with multiple reports to social services, at least some of which were founded - and he's made it crystal clear that he's willing to throw the children to the proverbial dogs or abusers or molesters or neglecters or whatever type of creeping crud stepmother might be. The judge should have very little trouble assessing where dad's priorities lay, and ruling accordingly to provide the children with the stability and environment they deserve - aka, moving to WA.

Edit: oops sorry...posted before realizing I hadn't read ALL posts in the thread. Congrats!!

Proserpina

You have no idea how much SQUEE we (and by "we", I mean us, the kids & the zoo - not necessarily in that order) have on your behalf.

Actually - reading this has just made my day.

I LOVE this thread.

CJane

****(Hopefully) Final Update****

SoldierBoy and I flew back from WA yesterday, anticipating a two day trial that's been on the calendar since August. Instead, we spent all of today trapped in a tiny little conference room, making paper airplanes, playing table hockey with quarters, and being hungry and bored. Apparently THAT is what settlement conferences are like. :)

It was worth it. We have a settlement that will be written up and signed by the judge within the next 20 days. And, since one child aged out in December, and the other will be 15 in March, this is probably our last visit to a courthouse. I could NOT be more relieved.

Dad ended up getting quite a bit of visitation, considering how long he was estranged from the girls. He'll have every Spring Break, 6 weeks in the summer, Dec 27-the day before school resumes every year, and every other Thanksgiving.

I pay travel.

He pays support and puts a specified amount of money into a UGMA account for the youngest child each month until she graduates from high school. He releases all information relating to the oldest child's UGMA account in time for her to pay tuition this fall.

I am SO tired and SO relieved. And I cannot wait to get back to WA and put everything behind us once and for all!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">