• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parental Disinterest and Relocation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CJane

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO

Ok... so, a brief recap of the past 5 years, and then onto my questions.

August 2008, Ex was granted primary custody of 2 daughters. Included in the order as a clause that said (paraphrasing) that if he moved outside the current school district, custody would reverse.

April 2011, oldest daughter who was then 14 spoke to school counselor and myself about an incident involving StepMother. Family services was called, an investigation was opened, and the case was considered "founded" and a safety plan was put into place. Children remained primarily with Father at that time.

March 2012, BOTH children reported further incidents to school administrators/teachers/me, and family services was once again involved. This time, Father wished to avoid an investigation, and dropped the children off at my house the night he was contacted by the social worker. They were left in my driveway with a duffle bag each, a few possessions (track medals, an alarm clock, a couple of stuffed animals) in a box, and that's it. Ex sent me a text message saying that "some things would have to be worked out" before the children could return to his home.

Since then, I blocked StepMom's phone number so she couldn't text the children, as she was being VERY inappropriate. The children do receive occasional texts from their father, expressing sentiments from wishing they were safe to be around, to their involvement of Family Services being like "murder to the family unit", to his dismay that they continue to be unforgivable. I have never blocked HIS number, or in any way interfered with his communications to the children.

In January of 2013, Ex wanted to meet me for dinner, to see if we could work out a "pathway back". Essentially, he told me that the kids could only return to his home if they promised to NEVER AGAIN report ANYTHING to family services, and if they understood that he would ALWAYS choose his wife over them because his commitment to her was eternal, his commitment to THEM was until they were grown. Up until this point, he'd seen the younger child once, for a less than 2 hour dinner.

Later that month, both children had dinner with their Father. Again, less than 2 hours.

Fast forward to January of 2014... Oldest daughter has not seen her Father since the one dinner in 2013. Youngest child has only seen him once since then, for a lunch date.

In July, Father moved out of the marital home, out of the school district, and about 45 minutes away. In his notice of relocation, he said that "his family's" best interests can no longer serve our mutual children's interests, and that he did not anticipate his move having any impact at all on our children's residence. He also indicated that he wanted to "formalize the current custody arrangements".

In September 2013, I sent him a joint motion to modify, granting me custody, him visitation as agreed between us and child support based on what I assume his income to be. He declined to sign, stating he wanted "50% access".

So, here I am a few months later, and I'm planning to relocate with my long-time BF who just got orders to Fort Lewis in WA. We're getting married sometime this year, but whether that will be before we move in July, or after the dust settles, remains to be determined. He has full custody of his children, and with the long distance plan and school schedules and trying to sell two houses and consolidate households and plan packout dates, etc... well, the actual getting married won't receive it's due attention if we try to rush it.

ANYWAY. I sent my ex notification that I was moving, as statute requires. I assume he will try to fight the relocation simply because he CAN. I stated that the children should relocate with me due to their longtime estrangement from "his family", the fact that he's provided no support, and participated in no parenting duties/decisions/obligations for almost 2 years, and the fact that he's only seen the children a very few times in almost 2 years. Also, oldest child already planned to attend college in Washington state, and if we move out there this summer, she'll establish residency before she graduates from high school, allowing her to pay in-state tuition.

It's worth noting that the children are now 17 and almost 14, and the 17 year old will age out of any visitation/custody orders in December of this year - 5 months after the move.

I have prepared a motion, which I included with my notification of relocation (also per statute, as it requires a new parenting plan to be submitted), asking for sole legal/physical custody, visitation as agreed, me paying 1/2 of air fare for visits, Dad's signature on any forms for passports to allow the children to travel internationally, and child support. I have also requested, in that motion, a motion for the judge to hear the children in camera.

SO! Finally.

Given all of the above.

1) Does he have a leg to stand on in fighting a relocation?
2) What is the likelihood that at the kids ages a judge would NOT listen to their wishes (it IS one of the 8 best interest factors)
3) Is the fact that one child will age out so soon of any relevance whatsoever? I can't see a judge telling her that she has to move schools, move in with her Dad whom she hasn't seen in 2 years, and stay there for 5 months until she turns 18 and then she'll just move schools again when she moves in with me anyway.
4) Are courts as averse to splitting siblings as I have always believed them to be?
5) I do NOT wish to drag in dirty laundry. Whatever happened with StepMom happened. No one was there other than the kids and her, so I can't say for certain what happened. To me, it's water under the bridge in a sense, and the more pressing issue is that my Ex has abandoned all parental responsibility for 2 years. Am I correct?
6) My worst case scenario is that ex successfully prevents the relocation and the kids mutiny. They have told me in no uncertain terms that they will not live with their StepMother again, and certainly not under the conditions that their Father told them would exist (agreeing never to call CPS again, agreeing that EVERYTHING that happened was a) their fault and b) totally made up).
7) This is not a case of spoiled children being allowed to choose where they live. These are children who were literally dropped off in my driveway at 930 at night, and excommunicated from the family.

Are my odds of a successful move any better than 50/50?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO

Ok... so, a brief recap of the past 5 years, and then onto my questions.

August 2008, Ex was granted primary custody of 2 daughters. Included in the order as a clause that said (paraphrasing) that if he moved outside the current school district, custody would reverse.

April 2011, oldest daughter who was then 14 spoke to school counselor and myself about an incident involving StepMother. Family services was called, an investigation was opened, and the case was considered "founded" and a safety plan was put into place. Children remained primarily with Father at that time.

March 2012, BOTH children reported further incidents to school administrators/teachers/me, and family services was once again involved. This time, Father wished to avoid an investigation, and dropped the children off at my house the night he was contacted by the social worker. They were left in my driveway with a duffle bag each, a few possessions (track medals, an alarm clock, a couple of stuffed animals) in a box, and that's it. Ex sent me a text message saying that "some things would have to be worked out" before the children could return to his home.

Since then, I blocked StepMom's phone number so she couldn't text the children, as she was being VERY inappropriate. The children do receive occasional texts from their father, expressing sentiments from wishing they were safe to be around, to their involvement of Family Services being like "murder to the family unit", to his dismay that they continue to be unforgivable. I have never blocked HIS number, or in any way interfered with his communications to the children.

In January of 2013, Ex wanted to meet me for dinner, to see if we could work out a "pathway back". Essentially, he told me that the kids could only return to his home if they promised to NEVER AGAIN report ANYTHING to family services, and if they understood that he would ALWAYS choose his wife over them because his commitment to her was eternal, his commitment to THEM was until they were grown. Up until this point, he'd seen the younger child once, for a less than 2 hour dinner.

Later that month, both children had dinner with their Father. Again, less than 2 hours.

Fast forward to January of 2014... Oldest daughter has not seen her Father since the one dinner in 2013. Youngest child has only seen him once since then, for a lunch date.

In July, Father moved out of the marital home, out of the school district, and about 45 minutes away. In his notice of relocation, he said that "his family's" best interests can no longer serve our mutual children's interests, and that he did not anticipate his move having any impact at all on our children's residence. He also indicated that he wanted to "formalize the current custody arrangements".

In September 2013, I sent him a joint motion to modify, granting me custody, him visitation as agreed between us and child support based on what I assume his income to be. He declined to sign, stating he wanted "50% access".

So, here I am a few months later, and I'm planning to relocate with my long-time BF who just got orders to Fort Lewis in WA. We're getting married sometime this year, but whether that will be before we move in July, or after the dust settles, remains to be determined. He has full custody of his children, and with the long distance plan and school schedules and trying to sell two houses and consolidate households and plan packout dates, etc... well, the actual getting married won't receive it's due attention if we try to rush it.

ANYWAY. I sent my ex notification that I was moving, as statute requires. I assume he will try to fight the relocation simply because he CAN. I stated that the children should relocate with me due to their longtime estrangement from "his family", the fact that he's provided no support, and participated in no parenting duties/decisions/obligations for almost 2 years, and the fact that he's only seen the children a very few times in almost 2 years. Also, oldest child already planned to attend college in Washington state, and if we move out there this summer, she'll establish residency before she graduates from high school, allowing her to pay in-state tuition.

It's worth noting that the children are now 17 and almost 14, and the 17 year old will age out of any visitation/custody orders in December of this year - 5 months after the move.

I have prepared a motion, which I included with my notification of relocation (also per statute, as it requires a new parenting plan to be submitted), asking for sole legal/physical custody, visitation as agreed, me paying 1/2 of air fare for visits, Dad's signature on any forms for passports to allow the children to travel internationally, and child support. I have also requested, in that motion, a motion for the judge to hear the children in camera.

SO! Finally.

Given all of the above.

1) Does he have a leg to stand on in fighting a relocation?
2) What is the likelihood that at the kids ages a judge would NOT listen to their wishes (it IS one of the 8 best interest factors)
3) Is the fact that one child will age out so soon of any relevance whatsoever? I can't see a judge telling her that she has to move schools, move in with her Dad whom she hasn't seen in 2 years, and stay there for 5 months until she turns 18 and then she'll just move schools again when she moves in with me anyway.
4) Are courts as averse to splitting siblings as I have always believed them to be?
5) I do NOT wish to drag in dirty laundry. Whatever happened with StepMom happened. No one was there other than the kids and her, so I can't say for certain what happened. To me, it's water under the bridge in a sense, and the more pressing issue is that my Ex has abandoned all parental responsibility for 2 years. Am I correct?
6) My worst case scenario is that ex successfully prevents the relocation and the kids mutiny. They have told me in no uncertain terms that they will not live with their StepMother again, and certainly not under the conditions that their Father told them would exist (agreeing never to call CPS again, agreeing that EVERYTHING that happened was a) their fault and b) totally made up).
7) This is not a case of spoiled children being allowed to choose where they live. These are children who were literally dropped off in my driveway at 930 at night, and excommunicated from the family.

Are my odds of a successful move any better than 50/50?
I'm answering this the same way I'd answer somebody I didn't know..

I do NOT think he will be able to successfully challenge your relocation. You have done everything right, and his voluntary "abandonment" of the children should weigh in quite heavily with the court.

The children are of the age where their wishes may be an important (if not vital) factor.

Given the circumstances, I do think you have a better than 50/50 chance. Much better. But then again, I also have to acknowledge that sometimes the court does something completely unexpected.

Oh one thing.

" "murder to the family unit"?

That. Is. Messed. Up.

Last edited:

Bloopy

I can't fathom a judge being anything less than than appalled at his abandonment. As he has neither supported them physically or financially in two years.

But. Even -if- the judge preferred for them to remain in the area, he cannot order YOU to not move away. It does not appear that it is in the children's best interest to no longer live primarily with with you.

Furthermore, for him to fight it at all he'd have to be offering them a safe home with an appropriate safety plan and transparency. Which he and his spouse do not appear willing to commit to.

single317dad

Two points:

I'd feel a lot better about success here if the agreed legal change of custody had actually happened. All the criteria were clearly met, but (correct me if I'm wrong) primary custody was never changed. That may be a hurdle.

due to their longtime estrangement from "his family", the fact that he's provided no support, and participated in no parenting duties/decisions/obligations for almost 2 years, and the fact that he's only seen the children a very few times in almost 2 years
In my situation (normally very calm with little contact from the ex, but highly contentious any time I file something or in any way question her parenting or dedication to the child), I would avoid making any accusations or statements as to the ex's actions in my initial pleading. In my case (and of course we're all different), those statements alone would be what caused her to fight me tooth and nail. If I simply said "I'm moving" (in the required format of IN's statute, which is similar to MO's) she probably wouldn't say anything. Just food for thought.

All that said, if *I* were your judge? You could go ahead and pack the kids' bags for WA.

Silverplum

We all "know" you, and sympathize with you.

Therefore, I suggest you take it to the best family attorney in your county for a consultation. Someone who doesn't know, owe, or otherwise frolic near you.

:)

gam

We all "know" you, and sympathize with you.

Therefore, I suggest you take it to the best family attorney in your county for a consultation. Someone who doesn't know, owe, or otherwise frolic near you.

:)
I agree with this. Move aways are not really DIY projects even for ones who have knowledge of the courts. If you were someone that came here that no one knew, with all these complications in your story, you would be told by many that you really should hire an attorney that it's not a DIY project. The very least as Silverplum suggested get a consultation.

The things that popped out that give me a bit of concern, was the fact that you never changed custody in the past 2 years, same concerns as singledad mentioned on this. Also you sent him a proposal back in Sept and his response was no because he wanted 50% access. I see him arguing that he was in the process of getting back into the children's lives and he was in discussion with you and declined your first proposal because he wanted 50% access. Now with you wanting to uproot them across the country, how is he suppose to mend his relationship. I'm just throwing out something he could go with here, not saying it would work, just that you have to prepare for it and if you think he might throw up a huge fight best to have an attorney.

CJane

Two points:

I'd feel a lot better about success here if the agreed legal change of custody had actually happened. All the criteria were clearly met, but (correct me if I'm wrong) primary custody was never changed. That may be a hurdle.
You're correct in that the order from 2008 still stands. The only change being that the state is required to abate child support after 30 days, so I stopped paying him long ago. He managed to dodge service and there was never an order for him to pay me.

In my situation (normally very calm with little contact from the ex, but highly contentious any time I file something or in any way question her parenting or dedication to the child), I would avoid making any accusations or statements as to the ex's actions in my initial pleading. In my case (and of course we're all different), those statements alone would be what caused her to fight me tooth and nail. If I simply said "I'm moving" (in the required format of IN's statute, which is similar to MO's) she probably wouldn't say anything. Just food for thought.
It's good food for thought. But I have to state changes in circumstances. The fact is that the changes are hugely negative on his side, and there's no way to make them sound less crappy.

However, the "long time estrangement, etc" is actually in my letter to him regarding my relocation, not a pleading. The motion I prepared is emotionless and simply states the facts that the kids have lived with me for two years and he's failed to exercise any parenting time.

All that said, if *I* were your judge? You could go ahead and pack the kids' bags for WA.
Heh. I'm gonna let the Army pack them. ;)

CJane

Also you sent him a proposal back in Sept and his response was no because he wanted 50% access. I see him arguing that he was in the process of getting back into the children's lives and he was in discussion with you and declined your first proposal because he wanted 50% access.
This is a good point. HOWEVER, because I never attempted to modify custody previously, he's got a COURT ORDER granting him 80% access that he's not using. And, since September, he's made no effort to see the children or even attend a sporting event or band concert.

Now with you wanting to uproot them across the country, how is he suppose to mend his relationship. I'm just throwing out something he could go with here, not saying it would work, just that you have to prepare for it and if you think he might throw up a huge fight best to have an attorney.
I can see that argument being used. But I can't see him being able to back it up with any basis in reality. Before he moved this summer, he lived 2 miles from me. Two. No attempts to see the children. 1500 miles isn't going to impact his unused time with the kids.

CourtClerk

Before he moved this summer, he lived 2 miles from me. Two. No attempts to see the children.
This is the biggest problem he's going to face given that they are teenage children who get themselves to/from school on their own and are at home in the afternoon by themselves and if dad wanted to pick them up from school and either (1) take them out to eat and talk (2) take them to his house given he has custody on paper nothing was stopping him. Not CJane, not the police, not the kids.... only himself.

Not to mention there is a HUGE discrepancy on when he actually moved vs. when his notice of relocation says he was moving. He left and never told his kids.

LdiJ

This is a good point. HOWEVER, because I never attempted to modify custody previously, he's got a COURT ORDER granting him 80% access that he's not using. And, since September, he's made no effort to see the children or even attend a sporting event or band concert.

I can see that argument being used. But I can't see him being able to back it up with any basis in reality. Before he moved this summer, he lived 2 miles from me. Two. No attempts to see the children. 1500 miles isn't going to impact his unused time with the kids.
I honestly think that this is almost the closest that you could get to a slam dunk in your favor...but I absolutely agree with those who have recommended that you get an attorney on board to help you with this.

Did you keep any texts, emails, or other written stuff that outlined dad's "terms" for them to be allowed back at his house?

CJane

I honestly think that this is almost the closest that you could get to a slam dunk in your favor...but I absolutely agree with those who have recommended that you get an attorney on board to help you with this.
I'm holding the idea of an attorney in abeyance until I find out whether he's going to fight me and how. Sometimes, I wish that SoldierBoy's attorneyness was in family law.

Did you keep any texts, emails, or other written stuff that outlined dad's "terms" for them to be allowed back at his house?
A few, but I've been through several phones since then, and haven't managed to keep all the texts. It is, however, one reason I want the in camera testimony to be taken. Since he sent the texts to the children, they're not "mine" to share anyway. The kids can testify to what was sent, and the judge can determine the credibility of their testimony.

gam

I'm only throwing this stuff at you because I have seen some of these arguments used and the other side was not prepared to argue back. If I was the Judge as others have said, slam dunk.

So you use that dad has not bothered even though he did have 80% custody for the past 2 years on paper. He comes back with, well since Sept I have been working on finding some counseling to mend the relationship with the children, with her moving across the country how can that happen now? Your response? I'm not asking for you to post an answer just saying have an answer ready. I've seen this one work. Many courts fall for the "I've seen the light of my bad decisions and want to fix this with me and the children going to counseling". Mending can happen with the children living across the country, so have a plan if he uses this.

Big difference to with dad letting the kids live with you and having close access if he wanted to use it and the kids now being 1000's of miles away. Grant you I know big difference between dad saying he let the kids live with you and he dumped them off with bags packed in your driveway to. But that could be a way he tries to go with this. It's the way a family members ex who dumped their child off with bags packed went with it after no contact for 5 years.

I hope he does not bother, but from the bits and pieces you have posted(this is actually the first post I have seen where you asked your own questions), it seems to me that he will put up a fuss. He seems to me to be the type that justifies his poor actions away and takes zero blame, and they usually are the type that put a big fuss when they really have little to stand on.

CJane

He seems to me to be the type that justifies his poor actions away and takes zero blame, and they usually are the type that put a big fuss when they really have little to stand on.
Yes.

(10 character minimum)

TinkerBelleLuvr

Phone records won't show the texts themselves but they will show how much communication there has been between the children and their father.

Again, moving and not telling the children? Very telling.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">