• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parental Rights/Responsibilities

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mozallas

What is the name of your state? New Jersey
I'm planning on filing for divorce (She's not aware of it) and will like my wife to give up total parental rights /responsibilities before i file.Can this be done while we're still married?Also what is the divorce procedure for foreign marriages,do i have to go back home to annul it or it can be here.

BL

mozallas said:
What is the name of your state? New Jersey
I'm planning on filing for divorce (She's not aware of it) and will like my wife to give up total parental rights /responsibilities before i file.Can this be done while we're still married?Also what is the divorce procedure for foreign marriages,do i have to go back home to annul it or it can be here.
Huh ? You want to keep a secret , but want to ask her to give up Parental rights ?

Don't you think she would know you're up to something, or don't she understand English ?

M

mozallas

She really doesn't care about the kids and i wounldn't want her to use the kids for leverage when i file.She is educated.

Why do you assume she doesn't care about her children? Is she a drug user or alcoholic? Is she mentally ill?

I believe you would be hard pressed to find a judge who would agree to allow a parent to terminate their parental rights - unless there was another party willing to adopt the children.

You could try and agree to you having sole custody of the kids, and she could have visitation. That's do-able, and more or less common.

In any case, I think you're going to find yourself mighty surprised at her interest in the kids - if you try something like you're hinting at here. Mighty surprised indeed...

J

JoandJa'smom

You want her to give up her rights and responsibilties to the children? Do you just expect her to do this willingly?

Good luck!

JoandJa'smom

M

mozallas

Yes.She is very prone to unreasonable behaivour and violence.She doesn't do drugs,but her mental state is another.She believes there is one solutions to every problem and it's her's.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You get divorced here, not where ever you got married. You can't terminate her rights unless you can PROVE that she's unfit. And she has a right to defend herself against those charges.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">