• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parental Rights Termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?Oklahoma

I would like to pursue the termination of my ex's parental rights. I have not heard from him in over six years. I do not know where he lives or where he is. Recently, I contacted the child support enforcement office for an update on my case. They advised me that they have requested wage garnishment from over 25 jobs. The last they knew, he was living in another state. So they said that they could not do anything until the case was turned into an interstate case and they cannot do that until they know where he is. They sent me a letter advising me to contact them when I know where he is.

I'd like to close this chapter in my life since the father obviously has no interest in our son. My husband is more than willing to adopt my son. My question is, do I really need a lawyer to request termination or is this something that I can do on my own? My ex currently has several warrants for his arrest in this state, so I don't think he's coming back anytime soon

LdiJ

stepmom&mom said:
What is the name of your state?Oklahoma

I would like to pursue the termination of my ex's parental rights. I have not heard from him in over six years. I do not know where he lives or where he is. Recently, I contacted the child support enforcement office for an update on my case. They advised me that they have requested wage garnishment from over 25 jobs. The last they knew, he was living in another state. So they said that they could not do anything until the case was turned into an interstate case and they cannot do that until they know where he is. They sent me a letter advising me to contact them when I know where he is.

I'd like to close this chapter in my life since the father obviously has no interest in our son. My husband is more than willing to adopt my son. My question is, do I really need a lawyer to request termination or is this something that I can do on my own? My ex currently has several warrants for his arrest in this state, so I don't think he's coming back anytime soon
Its never wise to attempt an adoption without an attorney. Its too easy to make a mistake that can leave the adoption open to being overturned.

brisgirl825

When I found our atty, I went through the phone book and went atty shopping. A lot of them give free consults. So I made appointments and gave a retainer to the cheapest one.

GL.

We were married at the time of my son's birth. His name is on the birth certificate and my son has his last name. In our divorce decree, he is ordered to pay child support and has visitation according to my discretion (this is because he did not show up for the hearing.)

tigger22472

I agree with the other posters. There are some who say doing an adoption is easy but I WOULD NEVER EVER do it without an attorney. There are too many legalities. First there are the filings and the notices that must be put out. You will have to in some way attempt to contact the bio father, whether it be at his last place of residency or through a newspaper. Then some states require a home study done by the welfare department. Then there are more filings. The important part however is the notification to the bio father.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">