• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parental rights- unmarried mother, relocation and rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jelera22

What is the name of your state? PA

I am an unmarried mother-to-be; I have several questions.

The biological father wants to be involved in this child's life. How much rights does this really entail? If I sign his name to the birth certificate, can he stop me from leaving the state or country (I am a frequent traveler to South America and intend on moving there within seven years), even if I have raised this child? How far do his parental rights stretch? If we cannot work out an amicable visitation arrangement, could I truly be forced to live in the same area as he, even if we have never been married (and do not intend on doing so)?

If I do not sign his name on the birth certificate, are his rights any less?

just wow

DNA testing. If he wants to be in the child's life he can have that done to prove his is the father.

As for the rest, a dad has rights to be a part of his child's life. Why not try to work this out with the dad. It's just gonna be a mess otherwise.

onebreath

When the child is born and determined to be his too (I presume he will file for this if you do not request child support, if you request child support the DA will automatically pursue him for child support but will order a DNA test first). the father then has the option of working out cust/visit. with you are do that in court.

If he ever chooses to file legally for visitation/custody rights, there is an automatic restraining order that the child remains in that state. Furthermore, future hearings would be conducted in that state unless either the court or the dad gives you permission to move.

I agree with the last poster..try to get along with the dad all the way and you will get the best results hopefully.

LdiJ

I will also add that its quite probable that you will not be permitted to relocated to South America in seven years. (or rather, won't be permitted to relocate with the child), but you should probably be able to travel there with the child. It will depend on whether or not the judge believes that you will obey the orders and return after your visits.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If he ever chooses to file legally for visitation/custody rights, there is an automatic restraining order that the child remains in that state. Furthermore, future hearings would be conducted in that state unless either the court or the dad gives you permission to move.
WRONG! Future hearings would be conducted in the state of original jurisdiction UNTIL jurisidiction changes -- which means NEITHER parent nor the child lives in the state of original jurisdiction. Please be sure of your facts Onebreath. You are getting better but still not correct.
And LD is correct that mom can be stopped from relocating to South America with the child within seven years. Or between the time the child is born and the time the child turns 18. She can also be stopped from getting a passport for said child until the child turns 14 without permission of the dad unless she has a court order granting her sole custody (which means she would have to serve dad and a court case would have to take place) or without dad's permission (which means dad has been established legally) or unless she can prove that dad is UNABLE to give permission -- not refusing but unable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">