• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parenting Plan & Contempt Charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

QuestionsinWA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

Per parenting plan ex-wife was to have child from July 1 through July 21 and August 1 through August 21, with him returning to me (custodial parent) from July 21-July 31. She did not show up to pick him up for either visit. I made alternate plans for him (camp, visit relatives, etc).

Today I was served with contempt papers stating that I did not let her have her "weekends" (during the school year she has him the 2nd & 4th weekends of each month). Since I had made other arrangements for him, he was unavailable when she called (24 hours or less from the time she wanted to see him).

Am I actually in contempt? Does she get to pick and choose when she takes him?

She could have had him for 6 weeks and passed, and wants to pick and choose when she gets him. Isn't that why we have a parenting plan to follow?

Antigone*

Per parenting plan ex-wife was to have child from July 1 through July 21 and August 1 through August 21, with him returning to me (custodial parent) from July 21-July 31. She did not show up to pick him up for either visit. I made alternate plans for him (camp, visit relatives, etc).

Today I was served with contempt papers stating that I did not let her have her "weekends" (during the school year she has him the 2nd & 4th weekends of each month). Since I had made other arrangements for him, he was unavailable when she called (24 hours or less from the time she wanted to see him).

She could have had him for 6 weeks and passed, and wants to pick and choose when she gets him. Isn't that why we have a parenting plan to follow?
She has filed for occasions that happened prior to summer, is that correct?

Proserpina

Basically yes - she DOES get to pick and choose when she comes to get your son provide those times are within her parenting time.

You are expected to have your son available the entire time of Mom's visitation period. You cannot unilaterally make other plans simply because she doesn't turn up to get him on the day she's meant to arrive.

Did you refuse access the day after she was meant to come get him?

Isis1

Wow, for a split second, i mentally defended you, then i reread your post.

Dude!!!! You are SOOOOOOO in contempt!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">